 CAD / 32
Re: How are LDraw piece numbers allocated?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 7 Oct 1998 22:23:56 GMT

Steve Anderson  wrote:

I mean, I look at this great list of numbers and LDraw masters know them
all... I can't see any pattern or anything beyond the obvious (like minifig
legs and things like that).

It's just that Mr Eriksson above has already got a number for that wing,
and it confuses me terribly...

The pattern is not obvious.
The goal is to have the actual, correct, TLG part numbers for each and
every part.  The problem is many pieces have no number molded into
them.  Generally, the four digit numbers are correct.  As are the five
digit ones starting with 7 or 8.
Note that any LDraw parts that have three digit numbers, like the
legs, are not the correct numbers. These are just "placeholders".
Numbers that have a "P" in them, whether 3 or 4 digit, denote
"patterned" versions of a part, and also are not correct.  The numbers
after the "P" are just a unique way of ID'ing the pattern.
If the correct number for a part is found, then it is updated. The old
number is then used as a "pointer" to the new correct number.  So
remember, any number is subject to change. Three digit or patterned
numbers especially so.
There is a pattern of sorts.  There is at least one person who has a
hobby of tracking and analyzing part numbers, Joshua Delahunty. He can
tell when parts were released, and what sets they were first released
in.  He also can make pretty accurate educated guesses, based on his
data, of what number a part should have.  Though we do _not_ use these
guesses in numbering parts.
We depend on confirmation from other sources before committing to a
number.

Probably more than you wanted to know....   :-)
BTW, I work with those numbers all the time in doing updates, plus
building models.  And I _still_ don't remember them.  I can remember
3001 for 2x4 brick, 3023 for 1x2 plate, 3666 for 1x6... dang!  See?

-- Terry K --