 CAD / 3166
Re: Advice please on 4.5V motor part authoring
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 17:57:26 GMT

Steve Bliss <blisses@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
In lugnet.cad, Chris Dee wrote:

I have made a good start on modelling the 4.5V motor as a DAT file (hope • I've
not stolen this from anyone else - but the Parts Tracker seems to be
out-of-action). I would appreciate some advice from experienced part • authors on
how best to proceed. The visible exterior of the motor obviously comprises • 3
parts -
1. the casing
2. an insert which includes the 1x2x1 connector block end
3. the spindle with cog

Should I model these as separate (but incomplete parts - leaving the hidden
surfaces missing) or build just one DAT file for the composite ?

Chris

I'm not very familiar with the 4.5V electrics.  Did the motor only come in
gray/black, or were there multiple colors available?

For the three motors already modeled, one was done with multiple parts, the
others as a single part.  So there's no clear precedent.

2986.DAT      Electric Technic Micromotor
- (Remco Braak) all one part
71427C01.DAT  Electric Technic Mini-Motor  9v
- (James Jessiman) multiple parts: base, top, spindle
2838C01.DAT   Electric Technic Motor  9V
- (John Van Zwieten) all one part

Actually, I authored the 71427C01, not the 2838C01.  And I seem to recall
resubmitting the mini-motor with a separate file for the axle portion, so that
it could be easily rotated.  I'm not at all sure what became of it though.

-John Van