 CAD / 17678
Re: Animated minfigs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 13 Apr 2011 13:12:57 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Owen Dive wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Michael Horvath wrote:

Do you have any animations you would like to spare? I think it would be nice to
have a library of animations for different minifig actions, such as running,
walking, crawling, etc.

-Mike

Hmm, I don't think that would work too well - inevitably the action you want
will be slightly different from the action you have in the library (e.g. each
minifig action will require 4 different animation sequences, depending on
whether he has a tool in his left, right, both or neither hands), in which case
you'll have to start from scratch anyway.

Not when using my LDA program. (But OTOH, no progress is made on that project.)
Take the walking minifig in this scene:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15954981/a1227c.avi
He is called Fig02 in the main animation script. To make him walk, all I had to
do was to just add the line:
"
Fig02.Animation = MFWalk01.txt
"
into the script.

This is the standard walk script MFWalk01.txt:
"
; MFWalk01.txt
Self.FramesPerLoop = 20
Self.MoveZSelf = -4
Self.LeftArm.XRot.Tween Self.Progress 0 0.25 0 -40
Self.LeftArm.XRot.Tween Self.Progress 0.25 0.75 -40 40
Self.LeftArm.XRot.Tween Self.Progress 0.75 1 40 0
Self.RightArm.XRot.Tween Self.Progress 0 0.25 0 40
Self.RightArm.XRot.Tween Self.Progress 0.25 0.75 40 -40
Self.RightArm.XRot.Tween Self.Progress 0.75 1 -40 0
Self.LeftLeg.XRot.Tween Self.Progress 0 0.25 0 40
Self.LeftLeg.XRot.Tween Self.Progress 0.25 0.75 40 -40
Self.LeftLeg.XRot.Tween Self.Progress 0.75 1 -40 0
Self.RightLeg.XRot.Tween Self.Progress 0 0.25 0 -40
Self.RightLeg.XRot.Tween Self.Progress 0.25 0.75 -40 40
Self.RightLeg.XRot.Tween Self.Progress 0.75 1 40 0
"

So far the only animation sequence I've produced in over 11 years, but the
syntax isn't that complicated to figure out.
If I wanted that minifig to carry a hammer in his right hand, all I have to do
is add to the main script (not to the generic MFWalk01.txt file!) this line:
"
Fig02.Hammer.Create Fig02.RightHand 0  5 8 -1  1 0 0  0 0.73 -0.64  0 0.64 0.73
4522.dat
"

I have no experience of LD4D, but since it's a much more professional animation
software, I would be very surprised if similar modularirity was impossible
there(?)

/Tore