 CAD / 17599
Re: 2552px2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2011 19:00:18 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Philippe Hurbain wrote:
Hi Damien,

The problem is that I don't own the part and I don't want to buy it. So, if
someone has pictures of it taken from many angles or if someone has already make
it, or if someone wants to make it or if someone has a great way for me to do
it, I would be very thankful to get your help.

I have already prepared a "modernized" (mainly BFCed) version of this part
(http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/2552.dat). If you manage to
get good photos of the part, we could share the work of patterns creation and
integration to the part.

If there were ever a "perfect" example of a good use of texture mapping, I'd say
this is it.  5 well-placed photos of the top, front, back, left and right, and
you'd be set.  The beauty of such an approach is that angles are already taken
care of.  What the camera sees from orthogonal angles is what's needed for each
bitmap to be mapped to the surface.  No odd math, just take the photos (getting
those to come out well is the greatest challenge), and map them to the sides of
the object.

If I can get those photos going in the next month or so, we should have a good
point for comparison, as far as performance versus minimum hardware required.
Most of the texture mapping I've done so far won't make THAT big a difference in
most scenes, but this part (or any of the decorated ramp-and-pit plates)
decorated would really show the value (or not) of texture mapping versus
decoration-via-architecture.

     -- joshua