 CAD / 16744
  Open Source CAD Tool

Everyone, Today I ran across an open-source CAD tool on Make. Has anyone seen this yet? Is there potential for either 1) extending it to read LDraw files, 2) porting LDraw files over to this system, or 3) re-skinning the UI to allow people to build (...) (15 years ago, 18-Dec-09, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Open Source CAD Tool

(...) Tim, congrats on the 2009 James Jessiman Award. Glad to see you haven't forgotten us :) Even though we call it CAD, our LDraw based CAD (software wise) is much more like an interactive OpenGL environment than a true Mechanical Engineering or (...) (15 years ago, 18-Dec-09, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Open Source CAD Tool

(...) CAD tool mentioned) doesn't have an editing UI at all. It has a viewer for the files, and the files are in a script format. So creating files involves writing scripts. It actually seems comparable to writing POV code, but in a different (...) (15 years ago, 18-Dec-09, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Open Source CAD Tool

(...) Neat! I've always wanted to be able to export my POV-Ray models into different formats. I guess now I can! I didn't fully read the article. But, it seems mainly to discuss the z-index extrusion technique. I'm not sure what CSG primitives the (...) (15 years ago, 22-Dec-09, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Open Source CAD Tool

(...) This doesn't preclude importing/exporting to the LDraw format, though I wonder how the program would make sense of LDraw files given that they are just meshes. Converting LGEO's POV-Ray CSG parts to this format might be more productive. In (...) (15 years ago, 22-Dec-09, to lugnet.cad)