 CAD / 16745
Re: Open Source CAD Tool
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 18 Dec 2009 18:13:11 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Tim Courtney wrote:
Everyone,

Today I ran across an open-source CAD tool on Make.  Has anyone seen this yet?
Is there potential for either 1) extending it to read LDraw files, 2) porting
LDraw files over to this system, or 3) re-skinning the UI to allow people to
build models using standard LDU increments, rotations, etc?

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2009/12/make_projects_-_easy_3d_models_with.html

Food for thought. :-)

Tim

Tim, congrats on the 2009 James Jessiman Award.  Glad to see you haven't
forgotten us :)

Even though we call it CAD, our LDraw based CAD (software wise) is much more
like an interactive OpenGL environment than a true Mechanical Engineering or
Drafting CAD program.

I don't mean to be a downer on the idea, but I know that MLCAD is still being
developed (obvisously BrickSmith is too)...and it would take a tremendous amount
of work to have a new program catch up to them.  I've considered trying this
more than once.

Now, if Lachmann were to set up a SourceForge repository, I'd bet that he could
put together a great team of volounteers to help him.  It is no small dream of
mine to be a part of such a project.

Alternatively, if Allen would let someone else completely re-write BrickSmith to
be multi-platform complient...well, maybe I won't volunteer for that.

Scott