 CAD / 16288
Re: Mirror matrix question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 15 Jun 2009 06:43:50 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
Hi gang,

  If I have an LDraw Type 1 line that adds a submodel, and the rotation matrix
of the line is a mirrored matrix about one and only one axis, can one calculate
which axis the model is mirrored about?  Can one do so if the user mirrored
*and* rotated the submodel when adding it to the model?

  What I want to do is to be able to render the mirror image version of the
model as the mirror image (so the user builds the submodel correctly), but with
the same overall orientation as the non-mirrored version.

  Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Kevin

Not sure if this helps but...

If you solve

(M11+1) x + M12 y = - M13
M21 x + (M22+1) y = - M23

and then normalise the vector (x,y,1) the result will be a vector normal to the
mirroring plane. To test that you indeed have a rotation/mirror you can check
that
M31 x + M32 y = -(M33+1)
to required precision.

Tim