 CAD / 15402
Re: Blender to LDraw exporter (Blend2Dat v0.2)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 2008 20:52:22 GMT

I just tested your script (on VERY simple objects, I'm a complete noob with
Blender!), it worked very well. A few things I noticed:
- Export color here is not black but color 16. This is the "main color" that
should be used for triangle and quads in LDraw parts, so this is the best choice
you can do!

Haha I knew there was a reason I did that.  :)

- Your script can export very distorted quads (non-flat), this is something you
should take care of (split them into triangles). Or maybe there is an option in
Blender for that? See http://www.ldraw.org/Article512.html#coplanar and
http://philohome.com/isecalc/planarcheck.htm

I can triangulate the mesh prior to export, however that fattens up the already
giant file, and can introduce undesirable smoothing artifacts.  Generally, it is
considered "good form" to ensure there are no coplanar quads when you are
modeling something.  Perhaps a rudimentary GUI with a triangulate/don't
triangulate option would work best?

I have not looked closely into Edger code, but a basic version could be done
like this: for each facet, search all other facets for a common edge. This edge
defines the first two points of the conditional line. Now take one point in each
facet not located on common edge. These are the two control points of the
conditional line.

Still trying to wrap my head around how to set up these lines, but in a fit of
frustration I did arrive at one interim solution for conditional lines.  By
putting all the control points at 0,0,0 I not only make poor LDView pitch a fit,
but it smooths it nicely.  :)  However, after a quick test I realised I now have
a more ambitious goal - smoothing groups.  I can duplicate them in LDView, it
just is gonna take a lot of headaches.

-Stefan-