 CAD / 15284
Re: Rotating steps
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 2008 13:22:27 GMT

In lugnet.cad, David Shifflett wrote:

How do I have one step with a view of the underside (of a car)
and the next step with a view of the top of the car.

I understand that any view can be chosen for any step,
but I am referring to the exported steps
(meaning the printed instructions).

I am using Bricksmith as my editor.

Bricksmith's "Export Steps" command does not create printable instructions - it
saves a separate LDraw file for each step of each submodel. There's no inherent
view to these or any other LDraw models (at least as far as Bricksmith is
concerned).

On the other hand, LPub most certainly allows different views for different
instruction steps. I understand Kevin Clague is set to release an early Mac
version of LPub soon, at which point I'm sure more detailed answers will be
forthcoming.

Briefly, LPub honors MLCAD's "ROTSTEP" meta command to determine which view to
use. The format of this command is "0 ROTSTEP X Y Z REL", where X, Y, Z are the
degrees to rotate around the respective axis. (Correct me if I'm wrong, folks.)

You can enter these commands in Bricksmith, if you want. Hold down the Option
key while the Model menu is selected and choose "Insert Raw Command". Enter
something like "ROTSTEP 0 90 0 REL" in the inspector for that command to
indicate that subsequent steps should be viewed as rotated 90 degrees about the
Y axis (relative to the previous orientation, I guess; ADD or ABS can be given
instead of REL).

Does that help, or have I misunderstood your question?

Jim