 CAD / 15162
Re: LPub Issue
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2008 02:06:52 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Eric Kingsley wrote: • <snip>
Can anyone offer any help.  I have tried several things and the only thing
that worked was to trick the system by generating all the images then going
to the MPD file and deleteing one of the two submodel parts in the main
model and then running the layout images.  But even with that you get an
incorrect part count and know where does it say the submodel needs to be
assembled twice.

Thanks for any help you can lend.

-Eric

Hi Eric,
  Sorry you are having trouble with LPub.  I hope you are using 2.4, it is
your best choice.  I know you were patient in creating this post, and I
appreciate that, but it would really help if you provided snippets of the
LDraw file, including the LPub meta-commands.

  If you have a submodel, and it is called out:

0 LPUB CALLOUT BEGIN
1 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 submodelA.ldr
0 LPUB CALLOUT END

  You will get submodelA rendered and packed together into a callout image.

  If you use submodelA twice in the same step, *and* they are both enclosed
by the same LPUB CALLOUT BEGIN/END pair:

0 LPUB CALLOUT BEGIN
1 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 submodelA.ldr
1 1 10 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 submodelA.ldr
0 LPUB CALLOUT END

  then LPub will indicate that you've used submodelA twice by putting 2x in
the lower right corner of the callout.

  There are no other conditions under which LPub will use the 2x notation,
except for part list images.

  If you use the same submodel twice, but it is not called out, LPub won't do
the right thing.

  LPub 2 has big problems.  The code that calculates partial assembly images
is different code that does layout, which means that it is easy for them to
be different, and can produce incorrect part list images for layout (as an
example).

  The biggest single thing that can make the two parts behave differently has
to do with a combination like this:

0 STEP
0 STEP

  or

0 STEP
0 ROTSTEP

  In both cases, LPub gets confused, because in some parts it increments the
step number on every STEP/ROTSTEP it encounters, and in other places it does
not.  Once the step numbers are off, then LPub improperly pairs assembly
images with parts list images.

  I'm not doing any work on LPub 2 (or 3), because I'm working very hard
(with fantastic help from friends Travis Cobb's and Don Heyse) at finishing
up an alpha version on LPub 4.0.

  Trust me when I say that the issue of STEPs that are not really STEPs is
addressed in LPub 4.  It is the largest program I've ever developed by
myself, and one of the largest programs I've ever worked on, so it takes a
while to get all the bugs out.

  Hopefully the hints above will help you survive LPub 2.4.

  If there is behavior that LPub 2.4 does not provide that you would like,
please feel free to make suggestions here.

Kevin

LDraw files don't do to well in FTX, so I'm reposting.

LPub 4.0 currently renders the building instructions for that submodel twice.
It is not smart enough to see the two in the same step and merge them together.

I've found that for some designs and steps, it would be nicer to start the step
with CALLOUT BEGIN at the top of STEP, and CALLOUT END just before the next
STEP. Ignoring known parts between callout begin and end, would make it easier
to use.

Going from recognizing submodel reeuse between callout begin/end to between
step/step, should be straighforward.

So, do you have LEGO building instructions that show me what you expect, or want
LPub to do?  Those are very helpful to me.  They answer questions like;

When we realize that we've got multiple uses of a submodel, where should the
multiplicity (e.g. 2X) be indicated?

Kevin