 CAD / 15008
Re: renderer.dll
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 22 Dec 2007 17:46:45 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Travis Cobbs wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Orion Pobursky wrote:
The best bet (and one option I've been eying for a while) is LDView.  It's
source is open and it's written generically enough that it could be completely
cross platform.

There's actually another alternative, and that would be to use LDView.exe
itself.  There's been code in LDView for a long time that is designed to allow
an LDView renderer to show up as a child window of another program.  It was
never completed, but it's actually relatively close to being usable.

The idea is that you would run LDView and use -float <window handle> on the
command line, and it would then show up as a child window of the window handle
you give.

Since it's never been used like this, and isn't fully developed, there are some
problems.  First of all, it doesn't show up as a child window right now, but
instead as another top-level window.  (That can be fixed with changes to a
single line of code.)  Secondly, it doesn't pay attention to the parent window's
size, and so the initial size of the LDView window isn't appropriate, and
resizing the parent window doesn't affect the size of the LDView window.
Lastly, there's no way to tell it to load a new model, or otherwise interact
with LDView programmatically (although mouse control works fine).

Having said all that, it would be really easy to correct these problems, as well
as adding other remote control functionality (using RegisterWindowMessage to set
up a window message ID that the client program can use, and using SendMessage to
send commands to LDView).  If there's interest in this, I'd certainly be willing
to work on it on the LDView side.

--Travis
I just have tested this option and the result is that all stood still and can
only be closed. This shut down then the complete GUI of VB5. Thats my first
feedback for this.
In general I would like more a dll or whatever, that I can show also in a
picturebox so it would fit to the form I created instead of having different
windows. But if this is easier for you to realize, I think you should go in this
direction. I will wait for further news on the -float option.
cu
mikeheide