 CAD / 14696
Re: Selling prints of LDraw renders
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2007 04:24:59 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Richie Dulin wrote:
   In lugnet.cad, Timothy Gould wrote:
   In lugnet.cad, Philip Heinrich wrote:
   I’m interested in selling prints of renders I’ve made of LDraw scenes. The way I interpret the terms of service, it appears that this is fine, but I wanted to check here to make sure I haven’t missed anything. Is there any precedent for this and is it allowed under the TOS? Thanks,

-Philip Heinrich

Dear Philip,

To my knowledge there is nothing stopping you doing this. I wouldn’t swear that it’s not infringing copyright (IANAL) but I find it extremely unlikely anyone would make an issue out of it.

Tim (speaking without his SteerCo hat on)

Given the way the software is made available, I would hope that anyone considering turning a profit from it might consider earmarking a portion of the proceeds to Ldraw.org - like Tim Courtney did from the sales of Virtual Lego.

Cheers

Richie Dulin
(not wearing any particular hat here)

Ok, thanks guys. As I’ve looked into logistics in other areas (would people even be interested in buying prints/cards/etc. of LDraw scenes? I have a feeling it would be difficult to turn any kind of profit with this.) I’m not sure how far I’ll go with this, but I wanted to get a second opinion, so thanks.