 CAD / 14641
Re: 3D Transformations Architecture Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 13 Jul 2007 18:17:33 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Roland Melkert wrote:

I think keeping the '100 or so' objects static is the best approach,
because storing the transformed data after each manipulation WILL cause
noticeable rounding errors in a while.

Roland

Roland,
Actually the errors wouldn't be a problem. I wasn't thinking of performing
transformations on already-transformed data. I was thinking of performing
transformations on the original vertex data, then storing that (as a separate
set of vertex "draw" data) and only updating it if the object was translated,
rotated, scaled or the camera was moved.

If the need to transform this vertex "draw" data from its original position
arose due to object/camera movement I would calc and store new vertex draw data
that was based on the original vertex data, not the existing stored draw data.
The amount of calculations being done would be the same, so it's best to apply
the updated transformations to the original data to avoid the errors you
mentioned.

Each time the entire collection of objects is drawn the benefit would be speed
in the draw routine gained by bypassing calcs on objects that had not been
modified since the last time they were drawn, but at the expense of keeping 2
complete sets of vertex data: raw and transformed for drawing.