 CAD / 14637
Re: 3D Transformations Architecture Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 13 Jul 2007 03:38:18 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Travis Cobbs wrote:

   Actually, based on what you write after the above, this is a “How do you draw in 3D?” question, which is fairly close to “How do you do 3D?”. The implementation details of how 3D gets drawn to the screen tend to answer all your questions.

Travis, Thanks, but that answer is exactly what I was trying to avoid in this discussion.

I understand about creating a transformation matrix, a camera matrix and a projection/perspective matrix. I understand about compositing them all for a final drawing transformation/2D projection. I have all of those routines built and I know how to get the objects drawn on screen. I’m more concerned with the most efficient way of generating/storing the data to get to the point of drawing.

My question is whether or not calculation of those matrices and their final transformation on all objects in the scene for any change is wise since software of this type tends to have few simultaneously moving parts. It’s great for FPSs where everything is in motion (via motion of the camera/player POV) and needs to be updated constantly, but in a CAD environment when you have 100 objects on the screen and are only rotating 1 of them on 1 axis (or worse, just translating it) while the other 99 are static seems like an awful lot of muls (via matrix compositing) for data which is not changing. I’m wondering whether or not it’s better to not only store the last version of the trans/cam/proj matrices but also any object vertex data which is not modified by the latest change as well.