 CAD / 14639
Re: 3D Transformations Architecture Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 13 Jul 2007 14:51:50 GMT

Travis Cobbs wrote:

To put things into perspective, Orion's model of the Imperial Star Destroyer
(which contains 3020 of the 3104 parts in the actual set) runs in LDView 3.2B1
at right around 30fps when memory usage is set to high (using 73.5MB), and runs
at pretty much the same speed when memory usage is set to medium (using
73.25MB).  Setting memory usage to low drops the memory usage down to 61.5MB,
but it also drops the frame rate down to about 7.5FPS.  Load the same model up
in LDView 2.03 and it runs at about 12FPS (using 239.25MB).
--Travis

Well thanks for spoiling my day :)

I tried orions file and discovered a design flow in my new LD4DStudio
renderer.

It looks like this:

http://www.ld4dstudio.nl/data/pics/ImperialStarDestroyer.PNG

It seems Orion uses the rotation matrix to mirror some parts, this
totally F-ups my normals :(

And there is no way to correct this in my setup because I keep static
data per 'lego part'.

At the other hand this setup uses only 50MB memory (This is with an
debugging memory manger, so non debug version will be even lower). And
renders at 75 fps on my Radeon 9800 Pro.

About the original posters question.

I think keeping the '100 or so' objects static is the best approach,
because storing the transformed data after each manipulation WILL cause
noticeable rounding errors in a while.

Roland