 CAD / 14511
Re: how does a line ends?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2007 23:19:55 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Michael Heidemann wrote:
In the LDraw File Format (http://www.ldraw.org/Article45.html) it is
written that "LDraw files are plain text." and "Each line in the file is
a single command.".

Also in the LDraw.org File Format Version 1.0.0
(http://www.ldraw.org/Article218.html) there is no more specification.

I found some parts that do not have a "carriage return" and "line feed"
to determine the end of the line.

They have instead only a "line feed".

So it is not easy for a programmer to deal all possiblities. It would be
great if we can agree to define a line as text with "carriage return"
and "line feed" at the end.

Any suggestion or comments on this?

I like to have a statement about this also in the File Format (see above).

cu
mikeheide

Hi Mike,

This thread (http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/org/ldraw/?n=3995) contains various
bits of discussion about the issue. Given that all software works with DOS
newlines (cr+lf) and some doesn't work with the other varieties I personally
think that cr+lf should be forced on all parts. That said I think it's always
best not to assume any while writing. I'm sure there's a fairly simple trick to
deal with all possibilities in most string search/regexp libraries.

Tim