 CAD / 14507
14506  |  14508
Subject:
LDD Heavyweight passenger train cars
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2007 06:28:56 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

LDD Heavyweight passenger cars

Full Gallery

I’ve finished my first take on Heavyweight passenger car designs in LDD and have made gratuitous use of the dark red bricks. I’ve made a set of five different cars. These cars were common on American railroads, ca 1920. Although most commonly painted Pullman green, several railroads chose Tuscan red instead -as modeled (e.g., Soo, PRR).

I was surprised how far I could go with the LDD pallet. There are only a few colors I’d want to change, most of which are on the observation car (the railing should be light gray, and the drumhead should be white), and I would have made most of the dark gray jumper plates dark red if available (although not prototypical, I like the framed window effect I got with the dark gray on the coach and RPO doors). Of course I would have LOVED to have had dark green at my disposal, but...

Other features worth noting include the mail hook on the RPO, the undercarriage on all cars, and the three axle trucks.

I have no idea if I’m the first person to come up with the trick to float the middle axle with the door rails, but it was new to me when inspiration struck and is possibly the most innovative bit of the whole design. Although I’ve not built the full models, I’ve tried the truck and it worked for me on the curves.

I played with an idea to extend the cars another six studs and add stairs to the trucks where appropriate, but I didn’t see any good stair making material in the pallet and figured the cars were large enough as it is.

I’ve also uploaded the files to lego factory. Search for “zephyr1934” under users.

Comments are welcome,

Enjoy,

Benn

Full Gallery