 CAD / 14497
14496  |  14498
Subject:
LSynth on Mac OS X
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2007 23:38:28 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I just realized today that the LSynth source code builds fine on Mac OS X. Apologies if this has already been established, but it’s news to me. I’d previously only been aware of the PC binary version available here.

The Tk GUI works, too, if you tweak the path to the lsynthcp.exe executable (I renamed it lsynthcp):

LSynth Dialog Box

Now I’ve just got to learn the synthax better. The first chain I made (for this model) was wrapped around one gear properly, but the loop for the other gear extended in the wrong direction. It was easy enough to spin it around, though:

hand tweaked LSynth chain

Once I figure out how it works a little better, I might write a brief tutorial how to use it with Bricksmith. I’m thinking some sort of editor integration, like with MLCad, might not be too difficult, either. Anyway, I’d be glad to provide the binary if anyone would like to make it available for download.

One important debugging thing: it bit a bus error the first time I tried making this chain. Turns out the uninitialized variable nonwhite was being tested in the first strcmp in skip_synthesized() in lsynthcp/main.c. I think line is the variable that is supposed to be tested instead; it made the change and now it works fine.

One more step in my Macintosh LDraw compatibility campaign!

Jim