 CAD / 14046
14045  |  14047
Subject:
MLCAD Mindstrom Category
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sun, 27 Aug 2006 03:05:10 GMT

I recieved the following question at the Help Desk this week and while my answer will work it is one long, tedious customized process. I am wondering if anyone has an easier way?

**************************

Original Email

   Hi,

Currently there are headings like bricks, plates, technics, etc., in the parts list. I work with kids using Mindstorms and I would like to create an RIS or Team Challenge heading for the parts in one kit. How hard would this be to do and are there any docs to describe how to do it?

Thanks,

William J Rust

*******************************

1st Reply

   Are you trying to show these headings in MLCAD? -Ahui LDraw Help Desk

Educator’s Reply

   Yep. What I want to do is have a Mindstorms heading so that the kids will know exactly what parts are in a Mindstorms set without having to go to paper documents and then hunt through the brick, plate, etc., categories. wjr

**************************************************** 2nd Help Desk Reply

   It is possible but may be very time consuming due to the current labeling of
   parts.

In MCLAD you can go to SETTINGS -> PARTS TREE -> TREE CONFIGURE and create a
   new catalog entry and provide it a basic rule of what you want included.

eg. Bricks < brick

The catageory is Bricks and the LDraw parts that would be placed in there are
   anything that has the word “brick” in it’s file description.

Mindstorm parts fall under various designations (plates, bricks, electrical,
   etc...) in order to create a “mindstorm” category like you want you would
need to find each LDraw part that you want in that category, open the .dat (part file) in NOTEPAD and edit the first line of the file.

The first line is the comment line which shows the part name.

eg.

3004.DAT has the following:

0 Brick 1 x 2

   0 Name: 3004.dat

   0 Author: James Jessiman

   0 Original LDraw Part

   0 LDRAWORG Part UPDATE 2002-03

You would need to replace the first line with

0 MINDSTORM Brick 1 x 2

   0 Name: 3004.dat

   0 Author: James Jessiman

   0 Original LDraw Part

   0 LDRAWORG Part UPDATE 2002-03

so that it would be picked up by your new mindstorm category.

You are the first educator to ask for this type of regrouping but I know that many other educators use our software. Let me ask around the community > to see if anyone has done this or may have an easier way to handle this.

-AHui

LDraw Help Desk