 CAD / 13632
Re: Proposed new colour
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sun, 26 Feb 2006 18:16:22 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.cad, Timothy Gould wrote:
   In lugnet.cad, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
   In lugnet.cad, Timothy Gould wrote:
   Hi all,

Not sure if this has been brought up before so sorry if it has.

When looking at one of my renders today Ross Crawford commented that the tracks were to reflective. We worked out that this is because they use the chrome color (383) to define the metal whereas in real life it is brushed steel which has a different colour and reflectivity.

As such I propose that a new colour should be created for brushed steel for use in tracks, train wheels etc. I did some looking and think that color 446 could be a good candidate as it will look closeish in MLCad and is currently unused.

446 has the yellowish shine to it that I see when I look at track. But color alone doesn’t solve the reflectivity problem does it? I think you’d need to also work up some surface settings for POV, right?

I suspect changing reflectivity will do more to improve rendering realism than changing color but I could be wrong. (as an aside I think everything is a bit too reflective, no bricks are actually that perfect)

~~~~ , er I mean: ++Lar

Hi Lar,

I have already done that in POVray (see the bottom of the original post, the material is much less shiny and a different colour) but I am proposing to use a new colour as a more general solution so that the new material definition can be merged into lugnet_colors.inc or other colour definition files more easily (colour 383 is already processed separately as it is defined to be chrome rather than a coloured ABS).

OK, well sorry, I guess I wasn’t very clear. Would this new color be one that should also be processed separately/special? By POV? By the cad programs? It sounds like you alreeady worked up the necessary SURFACE settings (I think that’s the keyword, I forget)...

~~~