 CAD / 13167
13166  |  13168
Subject:
Exporting for use in LDraw?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 8 Aug 2005 03:40:10 GMT

Hey guys (and gals) -

    I'm a level-one software engineer at Electronic Arts Tiburon, based in
Orlando, FL.  I don't know how up on the videogame industry you guys are, but EA
Tiburon currently has a team working on a Superman game to be released some time
in the future, and I happen to be on the Superman team at Tiburon.  Long story
short, I was bored, so I came up with plans via MLCAD + LDraw for a Lego version
of the Superman logo.  I brought in a render and showed it to a couple
coworkers, and they said that it looked pretty cool.  One of them came up with
an excellent idea - as a team-building exercise, why don't we create a
life-sized Superman statue, entirely out of Lego?

    Thus, it's fallen upon me to actually come up with the plans for this rather
bold task.  Now, my original plan was to have one of the artists slice the
Superman in-game character model really thin horizontally - about 190/191
slices, or bricks, should be about six feet tall - and I would then go
slice-by-slice, constructing the plans in MLCAD.  Now, it doesn't take a rocket
scientist to realize that this would take considerable effort and doing.
Therefore, I was wondering if there is any way to convert either a Maya 6.x
model or a 3D Studio MAX model into an LDraw-compatible model file, or at least
convert it into reasonably-sized Lego bricks (1x1, 1x2, 1x3, 1x4, 1x6, 1x8, 2x2,
2x3, 2x4, and 2x6) so as to cut out the middle man.

    Oh, and even better:  The executive producer has said that the company will
cover the cost of whatever Legos we need to create the scuplture.  Awesome!

Any help is appreciated,
- MooglyGuy / Ryan Holtz