 CAD / 11942
Re: LEGO CAD with Mac OS X & Virtual PC?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 2004 04:34:23 GMT

I thought that I might be able to go buy a copy of "Virtual PC" for my Mac and
try the various Windows CAD tools, like LDD or MLCad.  Has anyone tried this?
Does it work?

I tried stuff with Virtual PC, and it stunk.  The CAD tools aren't worth it in
my opinion.  Even with the latest VPC 7 and the fastest G5, the equivelent PC is
a 533 MHz (people are saying).  Considering that my G5 2.0 whips through the
imperial star destroyer with MBC3, I wouldn't consider VPC worth much.
(http://firebolt.scl.utah.edu/mbc3_isd.mov)

Unless the utilities are really important to you.  Right now there is only L3P
(and my L3P Launcher).  However, I have used a script to import LDraw files into
Blender3D and then to Maya.  So you aren't completely limited in options.

If there is something missing that you really want, there is probably someone
who could fill the gaps.  Just let us know.

Also, the Mac dev newsgroup is lugnet.cad.dev.mac, if you want to see what the
Mac developers are doing and submit even more specific requests.

James