 CAD / 11892
Re: Problem with 41760 (mirrored 41770)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 2004 04:43:36 GMT

First of all, the mirroring trick is the standard way to make pairs of parts like that. It uses the least number of bytes in the parts library, and properly behaved software shouldn’t care. (Since I wrote LDView, I’m allowed to say that without someone complaining to me for being mean to the LDView author. ;-)

The problem you see was supposed to have been fixed in LDView 2.0, but I see that for whatever reason the fix isn’t working (at least on that pair of parts). To be honest, I don’t know why the fix isn’t working. While not a solution, you should be able to make the problem go away by making sure that that the first instance of 41769.dat shows up in your file prior to the first instance of 41770.dat. (For example, if the first part in your model is 41769.dat, the problem probably won’t appear.)

This will definitely be fixed in LDView 3.0. (Actually, due to the difference in processing in LDView 3.0, the problem never occurred there. I checked this to be sure, though.) I still don’t have a release date for LDView 3, but I’ve had two private Alpha releases, and gotten very good feedback from both. I can say that it’s not quite feature-complete yet, so I’m not even ready for a Beta release. The furthest I’ll go is that I expect to have LDView 3 released before the end of the year.

The size of the model shouldn’t have any effect on the problem. The value you choose for the seam width will have an effect, though; the larger the value, the bigger the problem becomes.

--Travis Cobbs