 CAD / 11519
  Color Names

All, I've seen many requests as of late to have LEGO release their color names for the specific brick colors. There has also been multiple requests for RGB/CMYK values and specific LEGO part numbers. Over the years I've addressed this question here (...) (20 years ago, 10-Jun-04, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.color, lugnet.lego, FTX)

  Re: Color Names

(...) The LSC could address this, but the LSC members aren't necessarily experts on the color palette. And it's an issue bigger than LDraw.org. So maybe a cross-organization group is called for? If we're going to talk about a 'system' for the color (...) (20 years ago, 10-Jun-04, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.color, lugnet.lego, FTX)

  Re: Color Names

(...) I know it's not, by definition, a LSC issue, but perhaps it should be. Much of the cross-site element "system" has been based on LDraw's part numbering and whatnot. If you look at Peeron, for instance, the parts are listed by their LDraw (...) (20 years ago, 10-Jun-04, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.color, lugnet.lego, FTX)

  Re: Color Names

(...) In the standard color wheel, pastels are achieved by adding white to a pure color, and earthtones are achieved by adding black, so I'm guessing the really dark colors are all termed Earth Something. The really confusing part is that I think (...) (20 years ago, 10-Jun-04, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.color, lugnet.lego, FTX)

  Re: Color Names

(...) I think it's a good idea for LDraw.org to lead the way on this. Of course, as both of you mentioned, such project would include input from other groups. (...) I think instead of coming together and trying to hash out universal naming schemes (...) (20 years ago, 10-Jun-04, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.color, lugnet.lego, FTX)

  Re: Color Names

(...) Because when a new color is introduced, it would help if people could infer the official name without having to ask for it. (...) What about previous colors? TLC might only have to be concerned about the current color pallete, but Bricklink (...) (20 years ago, 10-Jun-04, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.color, lugnet.lego, FTX)

  Re: Color Names

(...) Why do 'official' names matter, though? To me, the name useful to the community matters. -Tim (20 years ago, 10-Jun-04, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.color, lugnet.lego, FTX)

  Re: Color Names

(...) I do not think anybody would need to "own" anything here (other than Lego). And I do not think any one site should be the leader with this. If the 3 sites chose to work something out then they should all have an equal say. As catalog admin on (...) (20 years ago, 10-Jun-04, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.color, lugnet.lego, FTX)

  Re: Color Names

(...) While this has absolutly nothing to do with color names, it is a good idea that Steve and I have been kicking around for a couple of years now. I know Richard from BrikTrak has already built some translation tables between Peerl/LDraw and BL. (...) (20 years ago, 10-Jun-04, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.color, lugnet.lego)

  Re: Color Names

(...) Because unless TLC wholy converts over to using the same names that we do, it'd be nice to know what they're talking about when they start using a name that we don't. Also, it's nice to know what to ask for when you need to order a replacement (...) (20 years ago, 10-Jun-04, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.color, lugnet.lego, FTX)

  Re: Color Names

(...) I'd suggest that we keep the LEGO names in the database, as another naming scheme. That way, when we want to look up the LEGO name for a color, just look it up in the database. Better yet, when an AFOL calls LEGO and refers to OUR name for (...) (20 years ago, 10-Jun-04, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.color, lugnet.lego)

  Re: Color Names

(...) This does apply to colors, albeit indirectly. A cross-reference would allow different sites/DBs to maintain different color names if they wished, and still translate between parts and colors. (...) Gaining cooperation for a cross-reference (...) (20 years ago, 10-Jun-04, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.color, lugnet.lego)

  Re: Color Names

(...) All I mean by "own" (and the reason I keep using quotes) is that someone/some group is driving the process. And as I, and I believe Steve and Tim mentioned, the point I was making wasn't that anyone is told what to do, but that there is input (...) (20 years ago, 10-Jun-04, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.color, lugnet.lego, FTX)

  Re: Color Names

"Mark P" <mark@landofbricks.com> wrote in message news:Hz45ux.3JA@lugnet.com... (...) "own" (...) from (...) Lego). And (...) chose (...) admin (...) less (...) (speaking (...) problem (...) needs to (...) expected (...) and 2 (...) good (...) I (...) (20 years ago, 10-Jun-04, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.color, lugnet.lego)

  Re: Color Names

(...) I know what you meant by it, and thats what I meant as well. I think if the sites are truly going to work with each other then they all need an equal say - if not it is more 'including' than 'working with'. And there is a large difference (...) (20 years ago, 11-Jun-04, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.color, lugnet.lego)

  Re: Color Names

(...) Absolutely. They shouldn't be used in lieu of a more fan-friendly naming system, but it's nice to have them available for reference purposes. (...) Oh, yikes. I'm pretty sure there are some color names that refer to different colors depending (...) (20 years ago, 11-Jun-04, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.color, lugnet.lego)

  Re: Color Names

(...) Certainly possible. With a simple DB dump, we could supply the Consumer Service with a key to put next to the rest of their reference material on their desks. Jake --- Jake McKee Community Liaison LEGO Community Development (20 years ago, 11-Jun-04, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.color, lugnet.lego)

  Re: Color Names

(...) I've been working on such a cross reference myself (see also my recent post in lugnet.general) and at this moment I have a simple excel sheet which list all BL, Peeron and LEGO names and the ones I was able to match, are matched. Also I've (...) (20 years ago, 11-Jun-04, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.color, lugnet.lego)

  Re: Color Names

(...) I don't think I follow your point. LDraw/Peeron are (almost) synchronized in terms of parts. They're somewhat synchronized on colors and try to be. Bricklink uses (from my point of view) incompatible part names and incompatible color names. If (...) (20 years ago, 11-Jun-04, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.color, lugnet.lego)

  Re: Color Names

(...) That sorta gets tricky marketing-wise. If you have a color called "Red", then change it just slightly, forever-after calling it "Apple Red", I'd think newcomers would start to be confused. IE "What's this stone color? Is it grey? I want grey (...) (20 years ago, 11-Jun-04, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.color, lugnet.lego)