 CAD / 10624
Re: Flaming Smokestacks, Batman! (was Re: Introducing JetRed)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.cad, lugnet.space, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 4 Oct 2003 16:24:55 GMT

   In general, you (as a generic reader) don’t have the right not to be insulted by what other people write.

Of course they do. People can do and feel anything they want. Is that what you tell your wife when she is annoyed with you -- that she doesn’t have the right to feel as she does?

I understand that your claim is that insult was not intended, and that’s also valid.

There is obviously miscommunication here, a gap between what was meant and how it has been received by some.

   I don’t see this as a fruitful line to go down further, really. I’d like to not see this newsgroup be one where people habitually beg for feedback, I think it’s a bad practice.

I totally agree with that. People should post because they want to share, not because they expect praise.

   I’d also prefer not to be in a position where people who then give it get jumped on by others for the way it was given.

Actually, your tone in the first post was not really even-handed, although I realize that it is difficult to make negative criticism in a positive way -- maybe even more so in writing. That said, it is also clear that you had an agenda behind your comments. More below...

   1 - I think there are other people who like representational (but perhaps selectively compressed) more than fantastical. It’s not unanimous by any stretch but .trains does tend to focus on prototypes more than other groups.

You go from a gross - if qualified - generalization; and then you equivocate the meaning of your own statement with a subsequent disclaimer. If you already know that a “fantastical” creation is not your bag, in what manner did you hope to provide constructive feedback for such?

When I post replies in Mecha, I often point up the fact that I can only comment on what I like because I have no in depth knowledge of the mecha subculture. My likes and dislikes are therefore somewhat whimsical. If someone posts a “Transformer” MOC, since I don’t know that much about Transformers I could never comment on the accuracy of the MOC. As a consequence of my ignorance, I tend to post only postive comments in the Mecha group.

With a fantastical model, there’s almost no point in saying (as you did in your original reply): “If you like somewhat fantastical engines.” That’s taking an obvious fact and using it to denigrate the MOC. You could have instead said something like: “Fantastical models are not bag, so I don’t see myself as being able to comment constructively on this MOC.”

This part was weird too: “For me, anyway, in .trains, anyway, I tend to look for posts that have exciting new build techniques or that are nifty renditions of prototypes I’m familiar with.”

Okay so now we understand where you are coming from (and I have been looking at MOCs long enough to generally agree with the sentiment about building techniques being a big draw for me too). But, its still just you expressing something like: “I don’t like this kind of thing or find it interesting, but let me comment on it anyway...”

And then there was this: “This isn’t .space where everything is fantastical.”

Oh yeah? Says who? As another person has pointed out, that’s just your take on it. Further, the statement is false on the face of it. TLC itself has recently come out with some fairly representational models for space. The statement is also subtly disparaging of the space newsgroup as perhaps unserious, and therefore unworthy, because of its frequent fantasy approach to MOC building. The main thing is that there are no rules supporting such an assertion, and it is Lego we are talking about. Sure there are degrees of modelling precision (esp. taking a representational approach to the hobby, as you do), but you have no right as a moderator to get heavy on someone with nonexistent rules that are actually just your personal preferences -- even if the person called out was begging for some attention. I think you used your reply as an excuse to say something punishing like: “Your post is unworthy of commentary and here’s why...” If you were annoyed by the begging for attention aspect of things, you should have focused on that.

BTW, I think it’s inappropriate of you to move this to debate. It is reasonable to discuss polite behavior for given newsgroups in those very newsgroups.

-- Hop-Frog