 CAD / 10441
Re: All Encompassing Installer Not Available on Ldraw?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 2003 16:28:11 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Richard Marchetti wrote:
   In lugnet.cad, Ahui Herrera wrote:
   The BW03 AEI actually was release to both guest at the conference and the GENERAL PUBLIC at LEGOLAND during the weekend. So it became the 1st OFFICAL LDRAW AEI!

Ack! I have had that BW03 disk in my possession for months. And as you say, the installer is right there on the disk. Looks like there’s 3.5 MB of train models besides. AND a host of tutorials also. All told there’s approx. 418 MB of stuff there. Very nice.

Y’all should be selling this kind of disk via Ldraw. Even if you can’t host the installer online, something like this might help the Org’s financial side of things. And maybe I’m just missing it, but shouldn’t there be a paypal link (or some such thing) somewhere on the Org front page for accepting contributions?

The selling of the “AEI BW03” installer IS NOT LEGALLY POSSIBLE! This is becuase that installer has POV-Ray included with it’s installer, the POV license DOES NOT allow the selling of it’s software. Furthermore, MLCAD also has a small issue with for $$$$ of it’s application.

More importantly, however is that LDRaw.org is NOT an OFFICAL LEGAL organization inthe US or anywhere else. Techincally the parents of creator of LDraw still hold all the rights. While talk has been to make LDRaw.org the offical LEGAL ldraw license holder that is *still* in the talks,works,etc pahse. So having $$$ involved right now would only complicate things.

Furthermore, the BW03 installer was made with a TRAIL version of an installer application. Under the license agreement you can make and distriube installer .exe files made by that application SO LONG AS YOU DO NOT MAKE $$$$ from it. =) So we REALLY CAN NOT MAKE $$$$ from it.

   I’m sure there’s all kinds of stuff to do, but this kind of thing should get put on the fast track. I’m pretty excited at this kind of ease of installation. Not that it’s SO hard to install LDraw otherwise, but this just makes it SO much easier. Really, it’s what’s always been needed. It’s the perfect product to offset some of LDraw.org’s costs of maintenance.

Thank you...

BTW, is it on the disk for the “Virtual LEGO” book? Is that book for private gain, or does it also help LDraw.org? Given some of the names involved, is there even a difference?

Ahui speaking as an Author of the Virtual LEGO book The installer used for the book is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT than the BW03 installer. a) The installers were made with different software applications (one that I and Tim bought a license for, thus allowing us to use it for commerical or non-commerical use), b) the book installer has some applications that the BW03 installer did not include, and c) the book installer places 3rd part ldraw installations in a different location that the BW 03 installer. The BW03 installer was the basis from which I made the book installer but some things have chnaged. The licenses are also a bit different. The important thing to remember as stated on the book is that ALL THE SOFTWARE IS FREE AND AVALIABLE ONLINE! Thus the installer is FREE you are paying for the book.

Ahui speaing as LDraw Help Desk Again For the upcoming west coast conference (BrickFest PDX) I will again be creating a CD-ROM with a new LDraw installer. The instaler will once again follow very closely to what the BW03 installer does/looks like and NOT the “Virtual LEGO book” installer.

-AHui LDarw Help Desk