 Books / 431
Re: Allan Bedford "Unofficial LEGO builder's guide"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.books
Date:
Thu, 25 Aug 2005 12:02:55 GMT

Hi there,

In lugnet.announce, Didier Enjary wrote:

   The “Unofficial LEGO builder’s guide” by Allan is announce to be available in September.

I thought I would respond to Didier’s kind posting, and offer a few more details about the book.

Yes, I’m happy to be able to finally say that The Unofficial LEGO Builder’s Guide will soon be available!

Some of you may have already heard about this project, but for those who haven’t, this book is something I’ve been working on for quite a while now. The idea was hatched in the fall of 2003 and I began working on it steadily in December of that same year. It is being published by No Starch Press who are the same great folks who put out Jake McKee’s Getting Started with LEGO Trains and also Virtual LEGO by Steve Bliss, Tim Courtney, and Ahui Herrera.

Where both of those books took a deep look at one specific part of the LEGO hobby I took a somewhat different approach. A couple of years ago, I looked around at what was available in print about LEGO building in general and found there was really very little. There were lots of Mindstorms books, some kids activity books, and of course The Ultimate LEGO Book. But what I really wanted, and what I felt was missing, was a book about basic building principles, simple design techniques and even something as fundamental as how to sort LEGO pieces. Since I couldn’t find a book like that... I decided to write one. :)

The result has become “The Unofficial LEGO Builder’s Guide”. In case you’re curious, here’s the cover art:

Click for larger version.

And if you’re even more curious, here’s the Table of Contents, to give you an idea what’s inside:

Chapter 1: The LEGO System: Endless Possibilities
Chapter 2: Back to Basics: Tips and Techniques
Chapter 3: Minifig Scale: Oh, What a Wonderful Minifig World It Is!
Chapter 4: Miniland Scale: The Whole World in Miniature
Chapter 5: Jumbo Elements: Building Bigger Bricks
Chapter 6: Microscale Building: More Than Meets the Eye
Chapter 7: Sculptures: The Shape of Things to Build
Chapter 8: Mosaics: Patterns and Pictures in Bricks
Chapter 9: Technic: Not as Technical as It May Seem
Chapter 10: Putting It All Together: Where Ideas Meet Bricks
Chapter 11: Beyond Just Bricks: Other Things to Do Besides Building
Chapter 12: Sorting, Storage, and Sitting Down to Build Something
Chapter 13: Making and Using Tools for LEGO Projects

Appendix A: Brickopedia
Appendix B: Design Grids: Building Better by Planning Ahead

The book is geared toward young builders who might be ready to make that move from official LEGO instructions to creating models of their own design. It may also be interesting to adults who are just returning to LEGO as a hobby or are parents/mentors of the above noted kids. The idea was not necessarily a book that would turn the reader into a Master Builder, but rather a text that would provide a ‘field guide’ approach to the entire LEGO system and its possibilities. I start at the very beginning by defining terms as simple as stud and tube, then move onto some core building techniques (brick bond patterns, building walls etc.) and by Chapter 10 I have the reader participating in the design of a complete original model (a space shuttle) from concept to final built version.

If you’d like to take a peek inside the book, you can download a sample chapter from the No Starch Press site.

You can also read more about the book at my website or get some behind-the-scenes info from my blog.

Before I forget, I want to take a moment to thank all of the members of the LEGO building community who played a part, no matter how big or small, in the creation of this book. That includes people who answered a question or two via email right through to the people who reviewed the entire book before publication. Also, a special thanks needs to go to the software and parts authors in the CAD community for the great tools they have created that allowed me to produce many of the images in the book.

Comments? Questions? I’d love to hear what you think. Post a note here or drop me an email.

Best regards,
Allan B.