 Boats / 317
Re: SNOT Boating, con't (LONG)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.military, lugnet.boats
Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 14:32:37 GMT

In e-mail, LFB wrote (and I beg LFB's approval, as this is reprinted here
without express written consent, although I am willing to suffer any and all
appropriate consequences for this breach of etiquette):

  Shaun,

  Just saw the frame-boat:

  That's an interesting approach--are you modeling it IRL
  at the same time as you're doing it in LDraw, or are you
  further along in one or the other?

Hi Lindsay,

At the front of the ship, you can kind of see what I was talking about in my
earlier post ... there are six ribs that haven't been blended together yet.  I
built all 20 of the ribs to scale, and laid them out in their appropriate
location.  My first attempt at making the surface between the ribs was to
simply copy each rib and fill the voids on either side of it with duplicates.
In places where the curve is gradual (such as the aft thrid or so), this makes
a really nice, smooth representation that I'm pleased with.  Towards the front,
I need to make some more intermediate sections that can blend the transition
between the ribs more smoothly.  Even in some sections of the middle I'd like
to add another "step", if you will.  For example, if you count to the  26th
"section" (one-stud-wide cross-section, and counting the prow piece as "1")
from the front, you'll see that there is a pretty drastic transition between it
and the 27th section.  I'd like to go back and include some other pieces in
this location, and others like it, that make the "slope" more gradual.

Sadly, though, to answer your other question, this is not being assembled in
real life simultaneously.  I don't have the requisite number of tiles, slopes,
and 1x4 bricks with side-facing studs to pull this off for the foreseeable
future.  My LEGO budget has been slashed as we approach the spring house-buying
season, and all of my "allowance" (baah, I thought I was passed this stage! ;)
) is going into brickbay orders to finish up various other projects ... the GMC
6x6, a BR18 1920s German Steam Engine, and a fully-equipped platoon of 33 SS
troops, including three squads, a command group, and a mortar group.  I do,
however, have nearly all of the crew assembled for the boat, in the fashion of
the "Kriegmarines" in the Sboat directory (with the addition of bandanas) ...
that's a start, I suppose.  That being said, I *have* tested out this hull-form
concept on small sections, and found it to be quite stable and strong, so I'm
banking all of my hopes on it :P

Each of the ribs is 1 stud wide, which is why you can't find any pieces wider
than that in the entire structure so far.  I've simply been copying and pasting
the ribs.  I plan on having wider bricks, plates, and tiles in the actual
construction in order to attach it to itself and shore up the stability.  For
building virtually though, the 1-stud at a time approach seems the most
straightforward.

It's hard to tell from the isometric view, but the top view and the side view
look really really nice and accurate.  Even the front and aft views look very
nice, with the exception of some of these large "transitions" that I hope to
address.  Every now and then I've just been putting up a pic or two to mark my
progress.  Tonight I'll have a bunch of time, so I'll try to POVRay some
different views to give the idea of the overall form a bit better.  I'll also
try to scan in some pics of the line/hull drawings I'm working from (again,
your recommendation of Fock's book was a godsend, Lindsay ... my continuing
thanks).

Overall, though, it *seems* to be going well.  As you can kind-of see, it's
leaving me with a good amount of space inside the hull itself for the various
rooms, ladders, causeways, engines, bunks, storage lockers, and fuel tanks.
Ideally, I'd even like to construct the real-life version so that it is pretty
straightforward to separate the hull into above-the-waterline and
below-the-waterline sections (which won't work that well if the interior rooms
extend below the waterline ...).  That way, I'd ideally be able to pose it in
the water (that is, resting flat on blue plates with the sub-waterline section
removed), and on a stand above the water (with the entire hull form exposed).
We'll see how that goes ...

*phew*

Any suggestions or thoughts?  As I said, I'm limited to virtual ship
construction for the time being, so feedback from others would be extremely
helpful.

-s