 Belville / 453
452  |  454
Subject:
Origin of "Belville" Name?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.belville
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 03:00:49 GMT

Is there any kind of official or rumored explanation as to the origin of the
Belville name?

This question occurred to me recently when I was looking through one of my
M.C. Escher books for building ideas and (as I've done many times before)
was checking out his work "Belvedere" as a potential idea.

For those not familiar with this work from Escher here's a pictue of it:
http://www.worldofescher.com/gallery/Belvedere.html

Even though there are many standard, basic architectural shapes and features
in this picture that are found in Belville and other LEGO sets, I'm not
suggesting that this work was the direct inspiration for this theme. I think
it was just the similarity in names that triggered the question in my mind.

So does anyone have any info or thoughts about where "Belville" came from?

Greg

P.S. For anyone who may not have seen it before and might be interested,
here's a brick-based interpretation of Escher's "Relativity" that I built
back in 2000:  http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=1538