 Belville / 369
Re: 5833 Rosita's Wonderful Stable
Newsgroups:
lugnet.belville
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 15:09:00 GMT

In lugnet.belville, Frank Filz writes:
I just received this set today. It has a bunch of nice stuff:

I also received #5833 (Rosita’s Wonderful
Stable) from Shop @ Home yesterday and noted
several interesting changes in LEGO’s Belville
presentation—as well as several non-changes.
The detailing of LEGO figures continues to grow in
complexity. Compare the 2001 dolls with the
1994 dolls and I think you will see what I mean.
[Same goes for mini-figs—just compare the
simple lines and smile of the original 1977
mini-figs with today!] At first glance, the Rosita
doll looks like she might be slightly darker than
other Belville dolls. Not so—same tanned flesh
tone all Belville dolls have always used. What is
different are the heavier eyebrows, more
highly-colored lips and the outlined eyes with
eyelashes. All four of the 2001 girls have
eyelashes. While blondes, once again, win the
hair race (two out of four), Vanilla does have
brown eyes, her teeth show and she has freckles
(a Belville first—I think). We also finally get a
redhead in 5834!

Not much building with this set. In fact, this set
have no construction instructions at all. The box
uses a heavier board, the same as used in the
Scala sets, not the usual LEGO Systems weight,
and more of a challenge to open. :-) The set came
with a poster showing the 2001 sets in detail, a
single sheet catalog and a little wordless book
showing Rosita having an adventure with her
white kitten. Studying the catalog, I note that
Scala set #3148 uses the same CRAPP-like
molded hill as #5834.

You get a nice range of tinted transparent 1X and
2X bricks, flowers, a friendly spider, the same
kitten as in #2555, a gold cornet (each of the
four 2001 girls comes with a different colored
cornet that matches the doll’s outfit) and an
orange dress so stiff that when you put Rosita
down, she rests on the rim of the gown. All-in-
all, a bit pricey, but a nice addition to the
Belville line. And now that LEGO Shop@Home is
selling buff bricks, we can start to build
something serious with all these towers we seem
to be accumulating. Cheers, WES