 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 679
678  |  680
Subject:
#2 of 3 San Francisco landmarks, Sunol Water Temple
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.build, lugnet.build.sculpture, lugnet.disney, lugnet.announce
Date:
Sun, 24 Nov 2002 18:50:08 GMT

Here is #2 of 3….
For those who aren’t from the bay-area here is a piece you probably haven’t
seen. This is the Sunol water temple located in Sunol Ca, a very small town
southeast of San Francisco. Famed San Francisco architect Willis Polk, who
always considered it his masterpiece, designed the temple in 1910. It was
built as a beautiful design intended to enhance the dignity of the water
company as a public utility service provider. The waters from the area
converge on this spot (you can look into the temple and see the water
rushing past); drop 40 feet into a conduit and head for San Francisco
through Niles Canyon and across the bay. At one time half of San Francisco’s
water supply flowed through the temple each day. Today 15% of San Fran’s
water still flows through the temple. In 1997 the people of Sunol formed a
group to restore the temple after the water company wanted to tear it down
after it became extremely deteriorated. In 2000 the project was finished and
the temple was reopened to the public.  If you are ever in the area of I-680
and Hwy 84 in Sunol stop and see it. It’ll be worth your time. Enough with
the history lesson.  It’s a smaller project (only 1ft tall) but I ‘m happy
with it. Here is my Sunol Water Temple.  I hope you enjoy.

http://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=28680

P.S. Look for my Golden Gate Bridge to be posted next!!!

One more thing, for all the Lugnet.Disney fans look in the background of
picture’s dsc00017 & 00021 for my latest project of Mickey Mouse.  As soon
as it’s completed I’ll post it.