 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 638
MOCs: the Michael Greene and the Skyshark II
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 04:14:12 GMT

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/DoctorDevice/MichaelGreene/michaelgreene-0
1.jpg

the Michael Greene is a standard Tug found in Staryards around the galaxy.
these tiny ships work in large numbers to safely moor huge spaceliners and
even larger cargo haulers. the underside of each consists of two large
gravity coils, which the tug uses to anchor itself to the hull of it's
charge. the average spaceliner will require 30 to 40 such tugs working in
concert to dock it.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/DoctorDevice/Skyshark/skysharkii-01.jpg

the Skyshark II is one of the more unique Ground-Effect racers involved in
the high-speed, high-adrenaline sport of Super-G. unlike old earth Super-G,
the modern sport does not involve sliding down a mountain on wooden planks.
true to it's name, Super-G is all about extreme velocities and winding
courses. until very recently, racers strove to fit three or four of the most
powerful engines they could get onto the frame of their racers. the Skyshark
II was one of the first to break with tradition. equipped with a single
Herschell-6 Stacked rotorturbine engine, generating 100,000 lbs of thrust at
full burn, the engine propels the racer to mach 5 at an altitude of ~10
feet. eight small maneuvering engines mounted to the Herschell-6 assist in
swinging the Skyshark II around hairpin turns and executing maneuvers most
older racers cannot hope to duplicate. what caused the greatest outrage
among the Super-G elite when the Skyshark first appeared was not it's
unorthodox engine arrangement, but rather it's landing gear, or lack
thereof.

most racers mount long rows of retracting wheels on their racers,
since a skid-landing at supersonic speeds tends to make a craft as fragile
as a Super-G racer disintegrate. the skyshark, however, relies on a
carefully engineered gantry to land. mounted on the spine are two
streamlined retracting arrestor-bars. once the racer crosses the finish
line, pilot Jason Lancey throttles back as far as he safely can and steers
toward the gantry, which is already accelerating to match speed. the
skyshark maneuvers in between the wheels of the gantry and engages the
arresting gear, killing the engine as soon as he gets the greenlight from
the gantry.

(here we go, two new MOCs from me [two-and-a-half, if you count the fueling
rig that goes along with the skyshark.] there will be more pics of the racer
if people are interested in it [and I hope they are]. so, please LMKWYT,
make suggestions, build your own if you want. when I build a landing gantry
for the skyshark, I'll post pics of that, too.)

-Anthony