 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 4211
4210  |  4212
Subject:
Speed Racer Mach 5 - Better then the Lego set
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Sat, 10 May 2008 22:45:02 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

I created a minifig scale Mach 5 that I think is a more accurate rendition of the car then the official Lego set - it uses about 40 parts from it.

I’ve been waiting to build this car for decades, and could only do it to my satisfaction with the new Lego Speed Racer windshield glass, curved slopes, and wheel fenders. It is very solid in construction - my kids have already banged it around some without breaking it.

Some highlights, when compared to the official Lego set:
  • Studs-Not-On-Top construction on the sides and front.

  • The seating area is 7 studs wide while the rest of the body is 8 studs wide, giving the car it’s signature “waistline” in the middle.

  • The interior has a stickshift, armrest, dashboard and neatly melded in steering wheel. It uses a lot of “half-stud width” offsets to fit everything in such a small space.

  • The hood opens to reveal the engine. (The original cartoon Mach 5 had the hood opening that was hinged at the front of the car, instead of this version which is hinged at the back of the hood)

  • Smooth profile with only 9 studs visible on the entire car

  • Added twin tail exhaust pipes, rear brake lights, license plate (this is a street car after all)

  • “Closed” construction - no open areas where you can see right through the car like in the official set near the front wheels.
The only thing missing is the famous “5” on the doors. I haven’t decided whether to re-use the too-small Lego sticker, or make my own. Every other part/sticker on this model is official Lego, which is why I’m hesitating. I wanted this to be “The Mach 5 Lego could have released as a set.”

I hope you like it - I got this finished in time for the opening of the Speed Racer movie.

More pictures in the Brickshelf folder here:

Mark