 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 4158
4157  |  4159
Subject:
Wind turbines
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 2008 14:59:34 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Inspired by the last FLL theme, I figured out it would be nice to have wind turbines as part of the layout... even if they actually might not produce energy.

At first I thought of having one (micro) motor on each of them, but that would get a bit too expensive and cumbersome. Then I thought of using some thread between a motor hidden below and the turbine itself, but that proved to be tricky and fragile. The final solution includes a 35cm long and 3mm thick knitting needle that transfers the rotation from the bottom, which again gives the possibility to run more than one turbine with a single motor. Some fine tuning is still needed to get them to run smoothly though, but it is already much better than in the beginning.

Picture:

Action video:

Cheers,
Matija