 Town / 10035
Re: Wind turbines
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 2008 09:11:12 GMT

In lugnet.town, Matija Puzar wrote:
   Inspired by the last FLL theme, I figured out it would be nice to have wind turbines as part of the layout... even if they actually might not produce energy.

At first I thought of having one (micro) motor on each of them, but that would get a bit too expensive and cumbersome. Then I thought of using some thread between a motor hidden below and the turbine itself, but that proved to be tricky and fragile. The final solution includes a 35cm long and 3mm thick knitting needle that transfers the rotation from the bottom, which again gives the possibility to run more than one turbine with a single motor. Some fine tuning is still needed to get them to run smoothly though, but it is already much better than in the beginning.

That’s a very cool (albeit non-LEGO) solution, Matija!

I made a wind turbine as part of my display for the FLL event last December and ran into the same problem, Mine for a futuristic home, so I was able to get away with building a 9v motor into the base. I’ll try to get some pictures of that up soon.

“Big Daddy” Nelson