 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 3932
3931  |  3933
Subject:
Wikicraft Barnstar
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2007 01:13:03 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

I must use my usual preamble to posting to .space, and say I am not much of a space builder, but nevertheless, I present to you the Wikicraft Barnstar:

The perfect craft in which to deliver a compliment to others!

I’m a great fan of Wikipedia. Not just the encyclopedia itself, but also of the community that does a lot of work behind the scenes to deliver the ‘pedia to us – the network of editors, administrators, bureaucrats and so on that ensure that the ‘pedia is built as well as it can be, and that appropriate standards are maintained.

One of the things that the community there does is give each other ‘barnstars’ in recognition of good work in helping build the ‘pedia. Some dismiss them as trinkets, but I think they’re kind of neat.

I was thinking it would be great to have something similar for the on-line LEGO community, and I pondered the possibility of building a barnstar out of LEGO. Five pointed figures are not easy to achieve in lego (or at least, not easy for me!). After a bit of playing around, I came up with the idea of building a Spiffcraft style, star-shaped spacecraft. After about a month of experimentation, I finally came up with a design which, I think captures the spirit of both the barnstar and the Spiffcraft.

Some more pics:

Cheers

Richie Dulin