 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 389
388  |  390
Subject:
Announcing the Tranclast Type C
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 04:43:47 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Vehicle:
atmospheric
Designation:
Tranclast Type C
Photo Archive:
Information:
  The Tranclast is a widely produced light troop transport, seen throughout
the galaxy in use by pirates, criminals, mercenaries, and militias.  The
Tranclast is currently produced by several different companies in different
parts of the galaxy, and in fact the name "Tranclast" is commonly used to
refer to a number of vehicles based on the original design by Yotran Nosis
Armor. While it has many variations, the one pictured above is the Tranclast
Type C, possibly the most common variant.  The Mercenary Strike Force owns
hundreds of Type C's, used primarily for assault missions, but also for
other purposes.  Due to the nature of combat operations for the MSF, the
common (or not so common, in the MSF's case) soldier needs some form of
long-distance transport into battle, because the "front" can be almost
anywhere on a given planet.  This problem was solved by blending the line
between mechanized infantry and aerial support.  A typical Tranclast
infantry squad consists of three Type Cs carrying two soldiers each, and a
fourth Type A for fire support and suppression.  The worth of the Tranclast
in such a role is it's ability to supplement it's troops directly in combat,
and act as an armored extension of them.  Typically, a Tranclast squad, upon
assaulting an enemy position, will make one or more passes to achieve
maximum psychological impact before landing at close range and acting as
cover and fire support for it's troops.  Meanwhile the squad's Type A will
circle the fighting a few dozen meters off the ground, neutralizing most
cover, and providing heavy weaponry against reinforced targets.  Three
squads make up a platoon, although when in combat with a larger force, a
platoon may include four or even five squads commanded by a senior officer
on a Type O.  However, most of the operations the MSF undertakes do not
require more than one platoon of Tranclasts.
  A typical Type C is equipped with a light pulse cannon, and can achieve
maximum speeds in excess of 500 nmph.  It's flight ceiling is generally
limited by the temperature and air pressure, as neither the cockpit or the
cargo area are pressurized.  Semi-frequent maintenance is required to keep
them flying, or else they risk breaking down mid-flight, thus meaning that
only those with sufficient resources tend to own Tranclasts.
  Type A-Attack.  The Type A is a more armed variant of the C, and has
replaced it's cargo area with a heavy laser rifle mount, and room for a
gunner.  A missile pod on each engine and four light cannons give it heavier
forward-facing firepower, and a mission-variable payload (12 missiles).
  Type B-Bomber.  One of the rarest variants, the Type B is only produced by
a single corporation, and with only limited success.  The Type B's cargo
space has been removed, and in it's place is are two bomb racks and chutes,
with a maximum load of twenty-two HE or cluster bombs.  It also includes the
missile rack off of the Type A.
  Type M-Medical.  A slightly larger and more enclosed cargo space allows
the Medical to transport two stretchers or several less wounded persons.
  Type O-Command.  While not in production, the Type O is essentially a
converted Type M, with the capability to act as a battlefield command unit.
Unfortunately, the lack of space tends to put the Type O at a disadvantage
compared to other vehicles, and thus it has never entered production.
  Type S-Sea.  A rare variant used primarily by civilian groups for marine
purposes.  Capable of floating and can achieve a maximum depth of 100 meters.

I apologize for the poor photos, I finished it late at night, but Tim
Deering wanted me to photograph it too...so I did, at 4 AM.  I may take
better photos at a later date.  Please LMKWYT!