 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 2690
  Macaroni Brick Patterns

I was messing around with some (URL) macaroni bricks> the other night and made a cool pattern, but I didn't have enough bricks to fully flesh it out, so I fired up ldraw. Once I had the first pattern, I couldn't help but try my hand at a few more: (...) (19 years ago, 3-Apr-05, to lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.build.mosaic, lugnet.cad, lugnet.build, FTX) !

  Re: Macaroni Brick Patterns

Hi, (...) It clearly reminds me some Penrose Tilings (URL), Escher works (URL) and Alhambra art. Unlike Penrose tilings, your tiling is based on the number 4 and 90° angles. (due to the Macaroni part geometry). Quite the same for Erling brick (for (...) (19 years ago, 3-Apr-05, to lugnet.build, FTX)

  Re: Macaroni Brick Patterns

(...) Very interesting..... This reminds me of the first 2 Lego sets ever produced that did not involve a building. That was the #1300 and #1301 Mosaic Sets from 1956. These Danish only sets contained a lot of 1x1 round bricks, 2x2 (quarter circle) (...) (19 years ago, 3-Apr-05, to lugnet.build, FTX)

  Re: Macaroni Brick Patterns

(...) The superficial similarity is striking. (...) I don't know that much about tiling patterns, but I can see that all my LEGO patterns so far have been based on a certain pattern of bricks being turned by 90° angles. And I also wonder if someone (...) (19 years ago, 4-Apr-05, to lugnet.build, lugnet.parts, FTX)

  Re: Macaroni Brick Patterns

(...) Very interesting. I did not know about those sets at all. Both for the headlight mosaics and these macaroni patterns, one really needs a lot of bricks of said type to make a real-life version of these. Fortunately in this day and age of (...) (19 years ago, 4-Apr-05, to lugnet.build, FTX)

  Re: Macaroni Brick Patterns

Just as a follow-up, I've created some more macaroni patterns and added them to the folder on Brickshelf. Here are a few of the nicer ones: (6 URLs) A couple of these stray from the aesthetic of using only the 2x2 macaroni bricks, and throw a 1x1 (...) (19 years ago, 5-Apr-05, to lugnet.build, FTX)

  Re: Macaroni Brick Patterns

(...) Very cool. Some of those patterns would look really nice on a hawaiian shirt, no? Too bad no one would know where the patterns actually came from. Just out of curiosity, any idea what the piece count on one of these would be (the blue and (...) (19 years ago, 5-Apr-05, to lugnet.build, FTX)

  Re: Macaroni Brick Patterns

(URL) Same design concept> as what I've done with the (URL) spindled fence> but with more practical uses. If I've got a lot more fences, I could certainly try to use your designs. AC (19 years ago, 6-Apr-05, to lugnet.build, FTX)

  Re: Macaroni Brick Patterns

(...) Just by looking at it, I would say that the leftmost blue/yellow one has 32 macaroni bricks per individual loop. I just got a bunch of 1955-57 macaroni bricks from Europe that have the 2x4 macaroni bricks (half circle) as well as the 2x2 we (...) (19 years ago, 6-Apr-05, to lugnet.build, FTX)

  Re: Macaroni Brick Patterns

(...) I suppose the LEGO Comany could make such shirts and if you looked closely you could tell the designs were made up of LEGO bricks. But then you might expect LEGO to actually sell sets that would allow you to make the pattern that's on your (...) (19 years ago, 6-Apr-05, to lugnet.build, FTX)

  Re: Macaroni Brick Patterns

Yes, very similar. Now that you mention them, I think I saw these when you posted them back in February and thought they were neat. But I can't say I had them in mind when I was fiddling around with the macaroni bricks, at least not on a conscious (...) (19 years ago, 7-Apr-05, to lugnet.build, FTX)