 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 2227
New MOC: Mining waldo
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.space, lugnet.aquazone
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:57:07 GMT

Hi folks,

I should apologise again for my on-again-off-again building habits. Excuse
of the moment is that my wife and I have just moved approximately halfway
around the world, which has meant (a) I've been very busy with real life,
and (b) that my Lego collection is still on a ship somewhere.

Of course, I couldn't help but pick up a few bits and bobs once we'd arrived,
and I've managed to build something with them.

It's a legless Waldo (powered suit-alike with manipulators) for deep space
and/or deep sea mining (see postscript.) One arm is fitted with what might
be a cutting beam, for burning out precious minerals or pesky fleebnorks.

The rack on the bottom ought to be for holding mining charges using small
clips, but all the charges I built looked like handbags, so they aren't
in the photo's.

Thrusters at the rear top provide for mobility, and the pilot cabin is
environmentally sealed, which I was quite pleased about.

I suppose it's kin to the nifty cargo loaders which were posted recently
(very sorry, but I forget who those belong to) but in a more general-
purpose configuration.

(No deep link since it appears to have been moderated while I was awaiting
posting confirmation. Go moderators!)

Construction notes:

* Simple snot to marry up the main body and sides.

* Heinous mixture of new + old dark grey, which is fine in artificial
  light but noticeable in daylight. I actually prefer the new dark grey,
  but I had more of the old so I've covered up most of the new in the
  interests of colour purity.

* One missing 3x1 inverse slope on the back, but I've managed to hide
  that in many of the pictures.

* I would have liked to make a flying stand which allowed it to lean
  forward about 20' - that's how it looks best, to my mind. But I
  couldn't do that and balance the weight with the few transparent
  bits on hand. On the plus side, the stand is skinny enough that it
  bends forward slightly anyway.

Photo notes:

* Appalling photos - sorry. No bright natural light to speak of today,
  and I had to do a cheesy background subtraction to get a clean image.

Please do let me know what you think - criticism, constructive or
otherwise, would be most welcome.

Cheers,

Will

PS: Aquazone bods, sorry for filling your newsgroup with space-related
creations, but I thought this would work equally well as a submarine
vehicle. Plus it's yellow.