 Announcements / BrickShelf™ / 54
53  |  55
Subject:
Lego Easter Bunny
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.brickshelf, lugnet.fun.holiday, lugnet.legoland.california
Date:
Sat, 8 Apr 2000 04:59:36 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Hi!  I just posted some pictures (on Brickshelf.com) of a bunny I built a
couple of weeks ago in honor of Easter.  It is based on a model of a rabbit
located in LEGOLAND California's Enchanted Walk[1].  There are pictures of the
original rabbit in the park as well as a few pics of the bunny I built.  There
is even a pic of the graph I made to help me build the bunny accurately.

The bunny is 31 1/3 bricks tall including the ears (22 high at the top of the
head), 46 bricks long, and 22 bricks wide.  It is mostly hollow but it has a
continuous 2 brick-wide wall that goes down its length in the middle and two
walls that go across the width, one near each of pairs of legs.  It used about
six 3033 bucket's worth of white and a large part of ten white plate service
packs.

I made a few changes from the original at LEGOLAND.  First of all, the rabbits
at LEGOLAND are gray, and mine is white.  Second, I only had enough white
plate to make the body so I had to "brickify"[2] the vertical right ear and
duplicate its mirror image for the left ear.  Third, I made a mistake when
starting to build the bottom and left out a row of bricks (it should have been
47 bricks long).  Last, the bunny's feet are only a best guess because in
spite of many trips to LEGOLAND, the surrounding mulch has always covered up a
large portion of the feet.

I had a great time making the plans and then building it.  I thinks that's one
of the greatest joys of LEGO.  I will be posting other pictures of a couple of
things I built to help decorate our house last Christmas.

LMKWYT - John Gramley

[1]  I hope that there aren't any legal ramifications in posting what is
essentially a duplicate of Legoland's work.  I have given it a lot of thought
and don't belive that I have, but if I have, I apologize and will remove the
pictures from Brickshelf.  If anyone knows of an infraction I've inadvertantly
commited, plet let me know so I can correct it.  I have done my best to make
it clear that this is not my own design and I am not taking any credit for it.

[2]  I am using this word to indicate that the plans called for the use of a
lot of plates and that I have done my best to recreate the design using bricks
instead.