 Announcements / 659
658  |  660
Subject:
LDraw at the Kidvention Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.events, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sd, lugnet.loc.us.ca.la, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.org.us.lugola
Date:
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 08:23:02 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Hey everybody...

Here's an update on the status for LDraw at the Kidvention so far:

I sent off the artwork for the banner to the company (FastSigns)
today, and they will get back to me soon on approval.  Thanks to
everyone who donated to make this sign possible!  (I'll be sure to
mention you by name in an all-inclusive Kidvention thank you post
after the event)  We still are in need of $45 to make the sign a
reality, however.  Please help out, even gifts of $5 and $10 make a
difference.  Again, PayPal tim@zacktron.com - I'll post when we have
all we need.

Todd suggested a guestbook for visitors to our table.  I really like
this idea.  This way we can take down names, email addresses, and
whether they've heard of us before Kidvention or not.  From this, we
can do a one-time mailing advertising the CD-ROM and plugging Lugnet.
Also we can ask if they would like to receive future updates.  This
can be made clear to them when they sign the form that they WILL
receive email.

Tomorrow I'm going to do some photocopier tests on the brick image and
the copy of the LUGNET logo Todd provided for me, in preparation for
the flyers.  I'm then going to head over to school and design the
flyers, and print out the guestbook forms.  I'll also whip a few more
binder cover sheets through the color laser printer for my LDraw
folder and for the guestbook folder.

As far as renderings go, we still need to collect stuff from a few
people.  Will the (real) following people please stand up, er, turn in
their stuff :)

Dan Siskind (Blacksmith Shop, WWII Light Tank)
Jonathan Wilson (Petrol Station) - I know its coming from ICQ conv's
Tom Burger (BNSF Engine, Acela)
Jin Sato (Mibo)
Terry Keller (Apache, X-Wing)
Bram Lambrecht (talk to me on what you're doing)

Once I have all our confirmed models/renderings, I'll scan through a
few other offers to fill it in some more.  I may be requesting from
others after I have finished processing these, and the ones already
submitted.

I HAVE gotten renderings/models/DAT files from:

Frederik Glockner (rendering only)
Joseph Gonzalez (model en route, and DAT files)
Eric Kingsley (model arrived, and DAT file/printed picture)

Again, these will be printed on 17x22" posters for display, and
laminated.  They will contain the author name, title of model, and
email address of author.  I can make arrangements to send the authors
the posters when we are done with them, as a momento.

Models submitted will be guarded to the best of our ability.  I am
arranging to borrow crowd control rope from Legoland as well.  A
strict hands-off policy when heavy crowds are present will be
enforced.  However, we CANNOT be held responsible for damage to models
while on display, by accidental handling by Kidvention visitors.
Every precaution will be made to ensure your models are protected and
pieces are accounted for.  The models will be shipped back promptly
after the Kidvention.

Some point between now and the time I leave for CA (Wed the 5th), I
will try to set up a Kidvention page on ldraw.org, with a few
introductory pointers to surfers who visited us at the display.  This
can help ease them into LDraw and the AFOL community as a whole.

I have clearance and encouragement from TLC to promote Lugnet as well,
as was discussed this weekend.  We will be happy to distribute Lugnet
literature as well as include Lugnet on our LDraw handouts.
Arrangements for that have already been made.  I feel strongly that
half the reason we are there is to represent the ENTIRE AFOL
community, and there is no better place to promote for that
representation than Lugnet.

----

Regarding arrival to the Carlsbad area, Tuesday July 11th, 2000:

Mike Poindexter and I will be driving from Fresno to Carlsbad, set to
arrive at 7pm in Legoland.  We will be meeting right away with the
producer for the event, Bill Anton.  Also, Terry Keller and Tom Burger
will be meeting up with us (actually, we're picking up Tom as we come
down).  At some point the evening of the 11th, we will pick up the
computer and monitor being loaned to us.

Set up for us and GMLTC is at 5:30 am on the 12th.  The display will
then be open from 9am to 3pm from Wednesday the 12th through Saturday
the 15th.  If you're coming out to join us and GMLTC at the
Kidvention, PLEASE drop me an email and let me know!  I'd love to know
in advance who will be there, so I can be looking out for you.  Stop
by, say hi, and hang out with us!  Can't wait to see everybody there!!

Feedback welcome!

-Tim Courtney
ldraw.org Project Coordinator

http://www.ldraw.org