 Announcements / 562
561  |  563
Subject:
Upcoming Terms of Use Agreement change
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.terms, lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.announce
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 00:11:27 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

All,

It's long been a point of confusion in the LUGNET Terms of Use Agreement,

   http://www.lugnet.com/admin/terms/?p=agreement

whether or not non-auction market traffic is permitted or verboten in
non-market groups.  The agreement doesn't specifically state that non-auction
flogs (i.e., solicitations and so forth) are verboten, but we all know that
they're frowned upon in the theme groups by (it seems) almost everyone, and
this is why they rarely appear outside of .market.buy-sell-trade.  It's still
a common point of confusion, however.

To make things simpler, clearer, and to eliminate perceptions of a "double-
standard," LUGNET's Terms of Use Agreement will change (on one point) to be
more explicit about market traffic.  Basically, auctions will still be
verboten outside of .market.auction and buy-sell-trade flogs (the annoying
kinds) will be verboten outside of .market.buy-sell-trade but allowed to some
extent (within reason) in .loc and .org groups.

This announcement is a heads-up.

I've got about 200 messages earmarked from the past 4 months to revisit in
consideration of various wording details, but the final wording changes will
likely be of a very small nature and point to an external document or FAQ to
give examples of clarification.  Frank Filz has volunteered a lot of time and
has organized a lot of thoughts and viewpoints and gray-area examples (many of
these appear in the .admin.terms group if you're curious).

I hope to have a revised Terms of Use Agreement ready for comments by the end
of April.

--Todd

[followups to .admin.terms]