 Announcements / 521
520  |  522
Subject:
Search button
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.announce
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 20:45:03 GMT

Just a quick "heads up" on a slight interface addition --

We need to add a clickable "Search" button next to the newsgroup search boxes
at the top of most pages, due to a forms bug in Microsoft Internet Explorer
(and possibly other Netscape clones).

The problem is that the 'Enter' key works correctly in MSIE pages containing
a single, simple edit-box HTML form, but not in pages containing multiple HTML
forms, even if those forms are all simply edit boxes.  Thus, MSIE actually
sometimes requires an HTML form to have an actual Submit button.

Currently, only a very small number of pages on the site have more than one
HTML form, but this won't always be the case -- especially with some of the
upcoming new features which will require HTML forms.

If your browser of choice is Netscape Navigator, you won't notice any change
in behavior -- you can still type searches and hit 'Enter' to activate them.

If your browser of choice is Microsoft Internet Explorer, then you won't
probably notice any change in behavior either, except on pages which contain
more than one HTML form.  In those cases, you'll have to click the form's
Submit button manually with the mouse or with Tab-Enter.  Please direct any
complaints regarding this to your browser vendor.

--Todd & Suz