 Announcements / 3779
3778  |  3780
Subject:
Brickworld Collaborative Display: LEGO Mansion Project
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickworld, lugnet.announce, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 14 May 2008 17:28:32 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

There’s only about 5 weeks left ‘til Brickworld ‘08! Hopefully you’ve all started working on your MOCs by now, but for those that haven’t, or those that want to add something else to their plate, we’ve got a new collaborative display that we’ve put together for the show.

The LEGO Mansion is a house building collaboration. Each standard module represent a room within the mansion. These rooms can be representative of anything you like from something as simple as a dining room or bedroom to a gymnasium or pool or beyond.

We have created a set of standards for designing modules so that they will all combine together for a nice singular display. Along with a list of all the standards, I have included a link to a Flickr album showing images of a standard module, in order to give you something to base yours off of.

For this particular show, our exterior wall standard will be TAN. Our door height standard will be 6-bricks tall, which matches up with the newer door styles found in sets like the Green Grocer, Town Plan, or Beach House.

Photos of our module standard can be found here:

Standards are as follows:

Standards:

Purpose Each module consists of a ‘room’ within the entire LEGO Mansion. That room can be anything someone desires to build: a kitchen, a bathroom, a one-hole golf course, a disco dance floor, a sandy beach...whatever one’s heart desires that the pocketbook can afford.

Width/Depth These rooms can be built to six(6) standard sizes, in terms of width and depth. Sizes are listed in terms of studs. The depth from front to back is always 16 studs. Width-wise, it can be any multiple of 8 up to 48 (width of a green baseplate). So our six sizes are 8, 16, 24, 32, 40 or 48 studs wide, and 16 studs deep. To put these in perspective, the 8 wide rooms would be ideal for broom closets or a small bathroom, perhaps. 16 wide would do for a simple dining room or small bedroom/den. Our hallways will most likely be this width. 24 wide would work for a larger sized bedroom, kitchen, or boxing ring. The 32 wides and beyond I imagine would work best for things like a home theater, ballroom, basketball court, swimming pool...things like that.

Height Total module height differs from the room height itself. Module height from top to bottom is 14 bricks tall. Room height is 12 bricks.

Section Breakdown Foundation On the very bottom, we have a base one(1) brick high. This is the foundation. This base will connect onto the top of the module below it, or simply rest on the table, if it’s a first-floor model.

Flooring Just above that, we have the flooring. This is one(1) plate thick and covers the entire foundation. Good uses for this are to put down a proper tile floor or something that will fit the floor of your room. Most likely you’ll need to leave the edge as studs, because the walls will be placed down on top of this section.

Walls The walls of the room start atop the Flooring, and extend upward 12 full bricks. Walls are 1 stud wide on either side of the room, and 2 studs wide on the back wall. The back wall should be built with your room’s interior colors on the inside, and the collaborative exterior color on the outside (for Brickworld ‘08, the exterior color is tan). The color of the side walls will not matter, as the walls for the rooms/hallways on either side of yours will cover this up. As a caveat, if you intend to build more than one module and have them placed side by side, you could add in something unique like a half wall between them.

Doors/Windows In order to connect all the rooms together, we are setting all doors/doorways back 2 studs from the front of the module. A door should be placed on either one or both side walls to accommodate connections with other rooms. Doors placed in the rear wall for things like patios or balconies can be placed anywhere along the back wall. Windows should, in almost all instances, only be placed in the rear wall, as the side walls will be connecting into other rooms, and any windows there would look out of place. The door height standard for this show is 6 bricks tall. All the newer style doors adhere to this height standard.

Ceilings The ceiling section is a single plate thick, and should be placed atop the walls, and cover the entire expanse of your module. I suggest 8x16 wide plates for this, but you are free to design it however you like. If you need more than one plate’s thickness for your ceiling, you should reduce the wall height of your room to accommodate this. For example, if you needed to use a full brick’s height for your ceiling, you would reduce your room height by 2 plates to compensate. This can provide structure for archways or ways to design something more elaborate than a flat ceiling. Note: if you intend to have your ceiling plates exposed on the rear exterior wall, try to keep it the same color as the rest of the exterior wall, or contain the exposure to a single plate’s height.

Roof Tiles On top of the ceiling, we have the roof tiles. This is a single plate’s thickness. This section is essentially just a single layer of tiles covering the top of the module, save for the corners. Each of the four corners of your module should have a 2x2 corner plate (an ‘L’ plate) to connect to the room(s) above. Again, try to keep the rear edge tiles a tan color to keep with the rest of the collaborative display. You need not completely cover the roof in tiles; there simply need to be enough there to prevent the module above from over-connecting wth the room below. We only want the four corners as connection points.

These are all the sections needed to complete a module for our Mansion.

Other Notes

Hallways/Stairwells We plan on providing a number of sections of hallways and stairwells for the display this year, and we will figure out a public standard for them some time in the future. Hallways and stairwells stack on top of one another, respectively, and will not be placed above or below other types of rooms. Hallways and Stairwells will be either 8x16 or 16x16 modules with open door frames leading to the rooms.

Rooms will be combined into the different ‘wings’ of the mansion. Each wing will be separated by a section of stairs/halls on either side. A wing will be either 32 or 48 studs wide. Therefore, when planning your builds, make note of the combinations available for a single floor within a wing. For 32-wide wings, it’s possible to have 4 rooms at 8 studs wide each, two 16-wide rooms, one 8-wide and one 24-wide side-by-side, or a single 32-wide room. Another possibility would be two 8-wides and a 16-wide. 48-wide wings offer a few more possible combinations. This may not have any real direct influence on how you build your modules, it’s more just something to keep in mind while designing.

That’s it for now. A basic module can take as little as an hour or two to build, so there’s definitely plenty of time left to get something made for this display. Can’t wait to see what everyone comes up with!

Feel free to direct any questions you may have to my email here.