 Announcements / 2799
2798  |  2800
Subject:
NYCLUG In The New Year
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 2004 08:10:31 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Ladies and Gents:

Hello... fearless leader here... fearless because I know that NYCLUG has sorta gone into a slumber over the past few months with nary a word from me, and yet, here I am, about to try and get all of you psyched up again about our little venture. I must have no fear. That, or quite a high tolerance for snickering. :-)

For my absence and silence, I am truly sorry. Truth is that I’ve been bogged down at work (as I’m sure many of you have also been)... however, we all know know what all work and no play does to Jack.

Having said that, let us renew our efforts to make NYCLUG into the premiere LUG it should be. Within the first two weeks of January I will put forth a suggested schedule of bi-monthly (or, however you say “every two months”) at locations throughout New York City, with the first build meet to happen in February or early March. I will ask for your input on these locations, since I may be slightly biased towards Manhattan and Staten Island -- where I work and live, respectively.

I will also suggest smaller build meetings, a la the last one at my house on SI a few months back. This may prove to be the most attractive option for most of us, being that we are spread out over several square miles (and, in some cases, in other states).

I would like for NYCLUG to sponsor at least ONE major build event this year. I pledge to do what I can to get us involved in some sort of relevant event -- a table at a major toy store, a whimsical display at an architecture show, etc. -- however, I must ask that as many NYGLUGers assist in brainstorming and executing this one. We are not necessarily out for publicity -- all we want is for more AFOL’s to hook up with one another (in a purely platonic, “play on” sense, of course) in the greatest City and metro area in the world. A high-visibility event (or more) will certainly help do that.

We have yet to design a logo -- we should see the earliest draft sometime in February.

How about a few other things -- like a “field trip” up to a nearby Lego store, followed by a build meet? Or maybe head en masse to the Union Square Toys R Us -- which is closing up shop -- in the hopes of getting good discounts and adding to our Community Pile?

Ladies and gents, I hope that you all still have a place in your heart for NYCLUG. It would be a heartbreak to many if we were to let it die. As 2005 approaches, let’s remember the security guards, old senoritas, and other curious passers-by who stood there, watching us as we reveled in the spirit of Leg Godt, their blood no doubt boiling with envy.

Let’s take timeouts to show off our MOCs, talk about clearance sales at TRU and KB and discuss the best price for a pound of bricks. Hell, let’s argue about light grey and bley. Let’s... play again.

Who’s with me?

Play well,

Sid Visit ARCHITEKTA -- My Lego Creations! http://onedaycnn.freeservers.com

“Architecture begins when you carefully put two bricks together.” -- Ludwig Mies van der Rohe