 Announcements / 1677
  BI Portal site re-launches!

Well after many many long nights, I have finished the all new BI Portal site. It adds many new features and now creates a solid foundation for growth. The new site is basically a live beta, so if you find any errors, problems or confusing parts, (...) (22 years ago, 5-Jul-02, to lugnet.announce, lugnet.trains, lugnet.general, lugnet.build, lugnet.cad) !

  Re: BI Portal site re-launches!

(...) A one suggestion: 1.) Can you move the subcategories sections from the righthand sidebar to under the main category heading (ala Yahoo)? It's kinda hidden to the eye where they are now. -Orion (22 years ago, 6-Jul-02, to lugnet.build)

  Re: BI Portal site re-launches!

(...) I have struggled with this particular question for a while now. I just moved the sub-category sidebar up towards the top of the page, so that should help a little. I will keep playing with it and see if I can get something better. By the way, (...) (22 years ago, 6-Jul-02, to lugnet.build)

  Re: BI Portal site re-launches!

"Jake McKee" <sink@countersinkdg.com> wrote in news:GysM6G.Cu6@lugnet.com (...) of course see my MOCs rated by others). I think you already have all the infrastructure for a general MOC rating system. Maybe you should think about not limiting to (...) (22 years ago, 6-Jul-02, to lugnet.build)

  Re: BI Portal site re-launches!

(...) On a more subtle note, the BI Portal is what we have needed for a long time. Thanks for bringing it to us. ~just your neighborhood lugneter, Jeremy Scott (22 years ago, 6-Jul-02, to lugnet.build)

  Re: BI Portal site re-launches!

(...) snipped (...) What a great resource for train enthusiasts! I have already build 4 copies of the Intermodal Spine cars (BTW I already sent in about it's broken link). I did make a tiny change though - it goes through curves better after (...) (22 years ago, 6-Jul-02, to lugnet.build)

  Re: BI Portal site re-launches!

(...) Aw shucks... (...) No problem. I saw a need, had some time, and wa-la! Now, it's *your* turn to help the effort! Spread the word, make & add some of your own instructions, bug people to add their instructions. This portal only works if people (...) (22 years ago, 6-Jul-02, to lugnet.build)

  Re: BI Portal site re-launches!

(...) Thanks, Jake Looks good! One thing I noticed (and you've probably already tossed this around) is maybe each category / sub-category should display the total number of submissions in the tree below it. The reason Isay this is, when I go to (...) (22 years ago, 6-Jul-02, to lugnet.build)

  Re: BI Portal site re-launches!

(...) Yep, I have actually thought about this, and it is one of the most common comments I have gotten. I would love to do this, and have actually played around with it. The problem is that it is incredibly inefficient for the code/database. (...) (22 years ago, 7-Jul-02, to lugnet.build)

"Jake McKee" <sink@countersinkdg.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:GyvsBM.87D@lugnet.com... (...) Why not simply do this calculation each time an instruction is added? Then you won't have to do it a view hundred times a day for each view, but only a (...) (22 years ago, 7-Jul-02, to lugnet.build)

  Re: BI Portal site re-launches!

(...) Jake, I have done this multiple times yesterday and never recieved my password. The system confirmed my email was valid, but I never recieved a notice with my password. jt (22 years ago, 7-Jul-02, to lugnet.build)

  Re: BI Portal site re-launches!

(...) James (and all), sorry about that. My hosting provider's mail server settings were dialed way up, and things weren't sending out externally. (Internally was fine...which is why my testing didn't pick up the error) Everything should be fine (...) (22 years ago, 7-Jul-02, to lugnet.build)

  Re: BI Portal site re-launches!

(...) As Oliver says, de-normalising the database may be an effective way of reducing the server load. Store the tree total against each category, and update it when a link is submitted. (...) Yep! But I dunno if I like light grey - kinda looks like (...) (22 years ago, 8-Jul-02, to lugnet.build)

  Re: Suggestions (was: BI Portal site re-launches!)

(...) 3. The "remember me" checkbox always defaults to "Yes", but I prefer to use "no" on computers which other people may use (work, etc). Can this setting be remembered as a cookie? ROSCO (22 years ago, 8-Jul-02, to lugnet.build)

  Re: BI Portal site re-launches!

(...) Can you explain this a little more? I intrigued by the concept, and completely confused. My (limited) knowledge of databases tells me that normalizing the DB is a way to add efficiency. What I am missing in your suggestion? (...) Well, the (...) (22 years ago, 9-Jul-02, to lugnet.build)

  Re: BI Portal site re-launches!

(...) Normalising makes things more space efficient (by reducing storage of redundant information), denormalising makes things more efficient at runtime (by reducing joins). Storing the tree total against each category is an example of keeping (...) (22 years ago, 9-Jul-02, to lugnet.build)

  Re: BI Portal site re-launches!

(...) The downside to denormalizing is you have to remember to update your data in several places whenever you update it. Depending on how complex you want to make your code it can be worth it to denormalize in some places to allow quicker searches. (...) (22 years ago, 9-Jul-02, to lugnet.build, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: BI Portal site re-launches!

(...) It also depends on the database usage - if updates are frequent, de-normalised databases start losing their efficiency, but with a database such as this, that shouldn't be a big issue. You can make the update code simpler by using stored (...) (22 years ago, 10-Jul-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: BI Portal site re-launches!

(...) And once a day, run a script to recalculate all of the counts from scratch, to make up for any bugs or irregularities or problems that cause the counts to go bad. Steve (22 years ago, 10-Jul-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: BI Portal site re-launches!

(...) Bugs?? Irregularities????? I've never seen such things! From whence do they come? Of course, I've seen many "undocumented features" 8?) ROSCO (22 years ago, 10-Jul-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)