 Animation / 701
Re: Animation of Mladen Pejic's models
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.animation
Date:
Sat, 28 Feb 2004 14:54:04 GMT

Hello James,

thank you very much for the detailed inormation.

Yes.. i already checked that description page.. i think its very cool
because it is nery nicely explained how to setup things.
This could be definately an tutorial on ldraw.org because everything sounded
evry easy to me ;).
If you have the chance to render another movie i would be very happy to hear
more details about the clusters speed and what machines its using exactly.

Play well

Carsten

"James Reynolds" <james@scl.utah.edu> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
This looks great. How long did it take exaclty to render it using the • grid
and in what resolution did you render the images?

Thanks!  Ever since I saw LDraw and POV-Ray, I've wanted to make • animations like
this.  It is nice everyone else is into it now too.

Hard to say exactly how long it took.  Well, it took 3 days of off and on • trial
and error trying to get alpha software ("Xgrid Technical Preview 1") to • work
right... It was designed for scientific calculations like genetic • sequencing and
wasn't really intended to do POV-Ray.  I would start it, check back in 5 • hours,
and it would be crashed.  So, you can imagine why this took 3 days.

And then when I fixed that, I had another problem with a computer that had • a
full hard disk and so it wouldn't render anything, but it kept grabbing • jobs but
not letting them go, so the whole process just hung on this one computer • for
hours until I would restart the job.  I did that 2 or 3 times before I • figured
out I had a bad computer messing it up.

When I got all the problems sorted out, more than half of the images had • been
rendered, I didn't want to re-render them, so I couldn't really clock it. • Oh,
and I rendered 4700ish frames, but only used 1400ish in the movie.

If I did it more methodical, I would have fixed things like the floor in • some
models, missing parts, parts that didn't belong, bad lighting, etc. • Anyway,
this was more of an excerise in mass renderings, not getting the best • images.

My guess is that it probably would have taken 10 hours without crashes or • other
mishaps using 23 computers (22 PowerMac G4/400ish MHz and 1 PowerMac G5 • dual 2.0
GHz).  When I get another set of pov files to render, I will be able to • say
exacly how long it takes.

The original resolution was 1280 x 960.

http://www.macos.utah.edu:16080/Documentation/xgrid/movie_files/Loiterer00025_1280_960.png

I have a version of the movie in that resolution, but it is 188 MB, and it • is
really skippy on anything I have tried to play it on except my 2GHz G5.

You should check out the page where I describe all of this becaues my • scripts
that did alot of the work are perl and can run on any Unix or Windows with • only
a little modification (removing Mac OS X only stuff like /usr/bin/sips,
/usr/bin/osascript, /usr/sbin/system_profiler, etc).

http://www.macos.utah.edu/Documentation/xgrid/povray.html

James