 Animation / 700
Re: Animation of Mladen Pejic's models
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.animation
Date:
Sat, 28 Feb 2004 06:48:48 GMT

This looks great. How long did it take exaclty to render it using the grid
and in what resolution did you render the images?

Thanks!  Ever since I saw LDraw and POV-Ray, I've wanted to make animations like
this.  It is nice everyone else is into it now too.

Hard to say exactly how long it took.  Well, it took 3 days of off and on trial
and error trying to get alpha software ("Xgrid Technical Preview 1") to work
right... It was designed for scientific calculations like genetic sequencing and
wasn't really intended to do POV-Ray.  I would start it, check back in 5 hours,
and it would be crashed.  So, you can imagine why this took 3 days.

And then when I fixed that, I had another problem with a computer that had a
full hard disk and so it wouldn't render anything, but it kept grabbing jobs but
not letting them go, so the whole process just hung on this one computer for
hours until I would restart the job.  I did that 2 or 3 times before I figured
out I had a bad computer messing it up.

When I got all the problems sorted out, more than half of the images had been
rendered, I didn't want to re-render them, so I couldn't really clock it.  Oh,
and I rendered 4700ish frames, but only used 1400ish in the movie.

If I did it more methodical, I would have fixed things like the floor in some
models, missing parts, parts that didn't belong, bad lighting, etc.  Anyway,
this was more of an excerise in mass renderings, not getting the best images.

My guess is that it probably would have taken 10 hours without crashes or other
mishaps using 23 computers (22 PowerMac G4/400ish MHz and 1 PowerMac G5 dual 2.0
GHz).  When I get another set of pov files to render, I will be able to say
exacly how long it takes.

The original resolution was 1280 x 960.

http://www.macos.utah.edu:16080/Documentation/xgrid/movie_files/Loiterer00025_1280_960.png

I have a version of the movie in that resolution, but it is 188 MB, and it is
really skippy on anything I have tried to play it on except my 2GHz G5.

You should check out the page where I describe all of this becaues my scripts
that did alot of the work are perl and can run on any Unix or Windows with only
a little modification (removing Mac OS X only stuff like /usr/bin/sips,
/usr/bin/osascript, /usr/sbin/system_profiler, etc).

http://www.macos.utah.edu/Documentation/xgrid/povray.html

James