 Animation / 457
Re: BricksWest 2003 Animation Competition Idea Solicitation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.animation
Date:
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 12:55:05 GMT

Now I remember why I didn't do this in the first place. I originally wanted to
include all countries so I selected computer formats.

I had worked in a lab that had a Targa 2000 card, and I never had any problems
converting computer video to the VCR. Apparently the equipment I have at home
is not able to do this, because the last two times I have tried, desperately.

The Western theme is still available through Lego Direct, but I don't know the
International distribution of this.

We will definitely have a non-themed, general entry category.

Todd

In lugnet.publish.cinema, Stefan van Zwam writes:
* VHS, NTSC would rule out European contestants. Is it impossible for the
organisation to hook up a computer to a tv and prepare the video beforehand?
* There's already a horror contest running. Western is an unlucky choice, as
the Western theme is out of the shops. (And happened to fall in my 'Dark
Ages'. I want these trumpets!). But in general, themed contests make for
easier judgement.
* Prescribing a story would limit the contest too much. But there are other
ways. Prescribing a (not too expensive) set, or limiting the number of
bricks, for example. These were discussed at BrickFilms a while ago.
* The non-themed showing, as at BrickFest, is a great opportunity for
animators to show off their work. It's one I enjoyed a lot (without being
there, but I saw the videotape of the show).

Stefan.
---
New film by YellowHead Studios:
Animation Class Lesson 1.
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/wandrer/animationclass/animclass.avi
Right-click and Save target As...

"Todd Thuma" <thumat@gactr.uga.edu> schreef in bericht
Animators,

BricksWest 2003 will be holding another Animation Competition and Festival • at
the BricksWest 2003 Convention. View the press release for the convention • here:
http://news.lugnet.com/events/brickswest/?n=397

What I would like input on, prior to finalizing the subject matter and the
rules for the competition, is a couple of issues that have arisen over the • last
two competitions that I have been a part of.

First, would any animator find it difficult to submit their animations on • a
VHS, NTSC Formated video tape?

The last two competitions have attempted to use the computer to view your
animations, but this has lead to an unpleasant view experience for the
audience. In an effort to improve upon this and provide other • opportunities for
the animator, video tapes will be used to produce one "show" tape from • which
the entires will be shown. It would also be possible to place the • animations on
a TV/Combo VCR in a public place at the convention that can run all • weekend.

The only concern I have is if this entry requirement would actually • prevent
anyone from being able to enter an original animation.

Second, do you have any suggestions for a competition category that • individuals
could complete animations for in 2 or 3 months?

I had several thoughts here. Provide a copyright free story that animators • must
animate a to. The story would be long enough that animators could chose a
specific scene or a individual scene could be selected that is short • enough to
animate a 3 to 4 minute video.

Another idea I had was to provide an open ended subject matter, like a • western
or horror genre, that would allow individuals to come up with their own • story.
Of course, the genre would be neither western or horror since these are
recent and current competition ideas. So a suggestion here for a genre • would be
welcome.

Please respond to the group here or email me directly at • thumat@gactr.uga.edu

Todd