 Administrative / Suggestions / 628
    Re: A Change —David Eaton
   (...) Huh-- I had actually thought that posting setup was that way by design. I recall way back when Auczilla was around, someone saying that it was specifically designed to be tricky to sign up for. Hence, only people who were "truly serious" about (...) (21 years ago, 9-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp)

        Re: A Change —David Laswell
   (...) Even if that had been the intent, it would always hold the possibility of backfiring. I've been a read-only lurker for almost two years now, and every once in a while I'd e-mail someone a response to their LUGNET post if I felt it was (...) (21 years ago, 9-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp)

        Re: A Change Todd Lehman
     (...) Nope! Nothing could be further from the truth, actually. To get on the AucZILLA list, all you had to do was submit a bid -- or reply to any public auction announcement posting. If someone forgot to include their name, I wrote them and asked. I (...) (21 years ago, 9-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp)

        Re: A Change —David Eaton
   (...) And of course that's precisely why I'm leery of the system. I can see the logic behind it, but it runs the risk of excluding people who misinterpret the system. It's been a long-standing problem where people have been confused about how to (...) (21 years ago, 9-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp)

        Re: A Change Todd Lehman
     (...) Rest easy, David, we're going to be fixing this once and for all soon. :-) (...) AucZILLA had proxy bidding too. And the e-mail list wasn't a single-auction-at-a-time deal; you stayed on the list, with all your settings preserved from auction (...) (21 years ago, 9-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp)

        Re: A Change —David Laswell
   (...) I certainly did. I can't recall how many people told me what I understood as "you don't have to pay for membership", but the member sign-up page clearly stated that there was a $10 minimum. (...) It sounds like that specific concern is at the (...) (21 years ago, 9-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp)

        Re: A Change Todd Lehman
   (...) Ya, there seems to be a growing misunderstanding of what the word "member" and "membership" means on LUGNET. Back in '97 and '98, very few sites had "members" or "accounts" or even any kind of personal configuration. And a lot of people coming (...) (21 years ago, 10-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp)

        Re: A Change —David Laswell
   (...) Ah, but you have to understand that most forums (and whether you think of LUGNET as a forum or not, most newcomers are introduced to it via the web archive, which reads like a more traditional form) require that you sign up as a member prior (...) (21 years ago, 11-May-03, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp)